Starting my layout...

Re: Starting my layout...

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:31 pm

I haven't found one. When I was designing my little show layout I ended up looking through hundreds of layout diagrams and pics online. Ultimately I built what I decided made sense specifically for shows but it would have been cool if there was a single source I could reference :(
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Bill Dixon » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:29 am

CSD wrote:Looks like a good plan for a "table top" layout!

As mentioned in the thread on that layout , this layout is one I wanted to build before I became more involved with my TT-Tracks modules. The plan shrunk to TT-Scale would be about 3 feet by six feet. I would be tempted to build it in the original 4 ' x 8' size. You would get more scenic room.

The layout was what got me started into resin coal hoppers. Look where that got me, five different resin cars so far.

The plan should be in the Model Railroader plan archive. Unfortunately you have to be a subscriber to access the archives.
However every now and then they open the archives to everybody for a week or two to entice people to subscribe.

I wouldn't be surprised to see that plan in one of their collected layouts books. So far there are: 101 Track Plans and 102 More Track plans. There is a new book coming out, 103 More plans. Maybe it will be in that book.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby railtwister » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:19 am

Ever since the "Thin Branch" articles caused me to revisit the entire Virginian series, I have been repeatedly looking through those back issues, studying what I had mistakenly dismissed earlier as a "too simple loop on a 4x8". For the purposes of TT, I think building it to fit a 3x6 table would be less desirable than something a bit longer, like 3x7 or 3x8 if at all possible.

I even thought about the possibility of using a 36"x80" hollow-core door, which is a fairly common size here in the states. Because hollow-core doors are surprisingly rigid, using one for the bench work would easily address Arseny's concerns about his layout twisting, but it would raise new issues like mounting switch machines so far below the tracks, and would make it difficult to create any ditches and water scenes below the track level without compromising the door's integrity. It would also require a different approach to setting it up on it's legs.

Food for thought...

Bill in FtL
railtwister

Postby richardedmonds » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:39 pm

ConducTTor wrote:I haven't found one. When I was designing my little show layout I ended up looking through hundreds of layout diagrams and pics online. Ultimately I built what I decided made sense specifically for shows but it would have been cool if there was a single source I could reference :(

LOL yes I feel your pain :wall:
richardedmonds

Previous

Return to Layouts / Track Plans