Starting my layout

Starting my layout

Postby Murad » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:12 pm

I've had a difficuld discussion with my wife about a small layout in our apartment. We complelly have found some place for it. So now i'm starting to plan a small module switching layout and right now I have an issue which standart to use - TT-nut or TT-Track? Which one is more popular? The maximum size provided by my wife 150cm x 50cm (59inch x 19 inch)

Dreaming about a roundtable. What is the total leght of the HP Articulated because I want to have it and run it there.

By the way/ If you have any ideas about the track plans - I would be glad to see it!
WTB any of the HP Products locomotive parts
Murad

Re: Starting my layout

Postby Arseny » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:33 pm

50 cm depth is too big to build a straight railroad, but it is too small to build a loop or an oval. Maybe you can get at least 70 cm depth, in other case you can take 30-40 cm, and I think it would be good.

I dreamed about roundtable too. But if you'll buy Roco's one, I am afraid it will not take articulated locomotive. My 4-8-2 Mountain is too big for it, for example. But you can use it with your 2-8-0 Consolidation.
Arseny

Postby Murad » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:46 pm

I think it's not a very big problem to make the Roco's roundtable longer. Or to order the bigger one from a scratchbuilder.

The 1st version of my plan:
Attachments
plan.png
WTB any of the HP Products locomotive parts
Murad

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:24 pm

As far as standards, I wouldn't use either of the ones you mentioned. I would use whatever is most popular in Russia so you can connect it to others there if you ever wanted to.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby CSD » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:34 pm

I agree with Conducttor.

It sounds to me like you're interested in showing off your locomotive roster and with the limited space wouldn't really be able to run full size trains. An idea I had for myself was to build an engine servicing terminal to show off my collection of locomotives that don't really have a home on my Czech layout. It would even have some switching for supplies.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby Biased turkey » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:49 pm

Murad,
I'm an apartment dweller too, and my understanding wife allowed me a layout the size of a hollow core dooor ( 80" x 30" )
As Arseny mentioned, forget about an oval type layout. So you don't ( maybe I'm wrong here ) have no other choice than a point-to-point layout ( a switching layout )
In your case, why not suggest to change the size of your "highly enforced" :lol: 60" x 20" layout to a 120" x 10 " one. The total area will be the same. You can "cheat" a little and make it a 120" x 12" one ( your wife won't see the difference, believe me ) .
In my opinion, what scars tthe spouses is not the lenght of a layout but the width of it.
You can make it a modular layout, but if you don't plan to exhibit it forget about any TT module standard.
If you plan to exhibit it then select the TT standard the most popular in your area.

About switching track plans ?.
I spent ( my wife would say "waste" ) several days on Carl Arendt's website dedicated to small layouts .
http://carendt.us/

Best regards

Jacques
Biased turkey

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:17 am

Biased turkey wrote:In my opinion, what scars tthe spouses is not the lenght of a layout but the width of it.

SO TRUE :lol: :lol:

Biased turkey wrote:Carl Arendt's website dedicated to small layouts ......http://carendt.us/

That's a fantastic site - for those who haven't, you should visit it.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Biased turkey » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:53 am

It's ( almost ) not out of topic, but I watched some Canadian TV broadcast that mentions that now the place where housing is one of the most expensive is in Moskow ?
Best regards
Jacques
Biased turkey

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:00 am

I'm not surprised. Too many extremely rich businessmen (people who had the right connections at the right time ~ 15 years ago) driving up prices.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Biased turkey » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:19 am

ConducTTor wrote:I'm not surprised. Too many extremely rich businessmen (people who had the right connections at the right time ~ 15 years ago) driving up prices.

We are talking about layout size here and of course as you mention, layout size is proportional to homing size.
Being born in Europe ( Belgian ) now living in Canada , I'm surprised by the huge layouts size featured by the "Model Railroader" magazine. They call it a basement empire :smile:

Best regards

Jacques
Biased turkey

Next

Return to Layouts / Track Plans