Starting my layout

Re: Starting my layout

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:41 am

Even for American standards MR is out of their minds. I picked up a recent issue about "Huge Scenes on Small Layouts" thinking cool, this will be very helpful. Apparently their idea of a small layout is a layout that requires a small room...... :wtf:
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby dileTTante » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:09 am

Since I'm no longer married I could be wrong about this but a possible way to get more layout is to get your wife interested in making scenery. I've met some women who were interested in model railroading and they liked doing scenery. A woman I met in a model train shop had started with making doll houses and had 'progressed' to model train structures.
-Terry C.
dileTTante

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:19 am

ConducTTor wrote:Even for American standards MR is out of their minds. I picked up a recent issue about "Huge Scenes on Small Layouts" thinking cool, this will be very helpful. Apparently their idea of a small layout is a layout that requires a small room...... :wtf:

:sick:
I have that issue, and my thoughts are the same. Model Railroader does seem to be more focused on those that can devote whole rooms or more for a layout.

dileTTante wrote:Since I'm no longer married I could be wrong about this but a possible way to get more layout is to get your wife interested in making scenery. I've met some women who were interested in model railroading and they liked doing scenery. A woman I met in a model train shop had started with making doll houses and had 'progressed' to model train structures.
-Terry C.

Nicholle had some interest in trains growing up, but when she asked for model trains growing up, her mother bought her brothers each HO scale sets, which they promptly broke just to rub it in.

There are some women out there that are into model trains, just not many, and only one that I know of that is active in TT scale.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby dileTTante » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:55 am

Well I talked with a woman maybe fifteen years ago on a train ride out of Chicago who said she had wanted a train set but her father hadn't allowed it because she was a girl. We still keep in touch and soon after she got herself a set in Z scale. She trained as a psychologist and makes her living brokering antique Persian carpets. I only mention their interest in model trains as a possible way to get more layout. If the spouse gets involved then the size of the layout might be allowed to grow. And they even may like feeling included. Who knows? There's thinking outside the box, so in model railroading this is thinking outside the door panel.
-Terry C.
dileTTante

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:38 am

Ditto on the scenery. Any interest my wife has ever shown towards trains is directed at the scenery. If she'd only let me build what I want, she'd have PLENTY of scenery to do :)
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby richardedmonds » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:31 am

My wife does not understand my train interest in any way at all. I think she thinks it all a bit geeky, however on the brighter side I never really understood women either. What the difference in toy trains and shoes when the expensive ones come from Jimmy Choo which in my book should be Jimmy choo choo
richardedmonds

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:09 pm

In our search for a permanent home (right now we are in an apartment until the major medical issues that forced my departure from the US Navy are corrected, which might be soon considering how often the VA has me in for surgical evaluations with subsequent planning for more surgery, my doctor has said to expect an operation every other month starting in May or June.), Nicholle will make a point of pointing out what would work for our layouts, and what will not.

Also, if it wasn't for her, we would not have our S, Z, and T gauge trains.

Nicholle has done a bit of scenery work, and she has done a bit of painting of rolling stock. The blue and silver HP boiler was her idea and project.

Nicholle and I have always gone together to railroad museums, and back when I would deploy with the USS Annapolis, she would run the model trains herself, as well as go trainwatching.

Women that are into railroading, both prototype and model are definitely out there.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby Murad » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:07 pm

I really like this one
Attachments
plan.gif
plan.gif (19.13 KiB) Viewed 276 times
WTB any of the HP Products locomotive parts
Murad

Postby Murad » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:21 pm

But I'll have to make the turntable bigger for 4-6-6-4 with #5000 tender.
WTB any of the HP Products locomotive parts
Murad

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:35 pm

:thumbup:
ConducTTor
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Layouts / Track Plans