Star Line Models Boxcars

Re: Star Line Models Boxcars

Postby milwrd1 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:52 pm

ctxmf74 wrote:"The quality of the mold was better than GoldCoast! "

I wonder if the molds are still around lost in some old basement or barn? .........DaveB

The quality of the molds and the details of the Star Line AAR boxcars were excellent. The kits, when initially issued (sometime in 1949), were state of the art, considering the use of the plastic sides, ends, roofs and detail parts (the plastic technology was relatively new). I believe these kits were equal in quality to the Varney HO kits at the time.

The Star Line TT molds and tooling were acquired by Larry Sayre in the 1980's and John Harmon (AMP models, Allegheny Model Products) had the Star Line TT molds and tooling in the early 1990's. Harmon used the molds (or the excess Star Line parts inventory that he acquired) to produce the AMP B-28 boxcar kit.

AMP B-28 boxcar primary kit parts. The kits were supplied less trucks and couplers.
000_0097.jpg

GN (Great Northern) 2514, built from the AMP B-28 kit
000_0096.jpg

This is the first TT kit that I built in 1991. I used Kemtron trucks, MTL couplers, and an HP decal set for the roadname and number, and a Champ HO decal for the "See America First" herald. The HO herald was listed as 54 inches in HO, which scales pretty close to 72 inches in TT. (120/87)*54= 74.4 inches, the GN used 72 inch heralds on many boxcars, not sure if the "See America First" herald was used in the 72 inch size.

I believe the TT scale Star Line molds and tooling (and possibly parts and kits) are located in storage somewhere in Chicago. John Harmon in 1993(?) sold his TT line to some gentlemen in Chicago who has since passed away. The gentlemen's family has not been willing to sell any of the items obtained from Harmon. :boohoo:
milwrd1

Postby ctxmf74 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:31 am

"Harmon used the molds (or the excess Star Line parts inventory that he acquired) to produce the AMP B-28 boxcar kit. "

That Great Northern cars looks very nice. Did AMP use a stable plastic for their models? I'll be looking for one of those kits......DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:33 am

ctxmf74 wrote:"Harmon used the molds (or the excess Star Line parts inventory that he acquired) to produce the AMP B-28 boxcar kit. "

That Great Northern cars looks very nice. Did AMP use a stable plastic for their models? I'll be looking for one of those kits......DaveB

Really - if AMP's models have fared well over time I'll be looking out for them as well.
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby CaTTwoman281 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:56 am

Were these at any time made by (or for) Jewel?
Real Women Not Only Drive Diesel Trucks, They Drive Diesel Tractors!
CaTTwoman281

Postby richardedmonds » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:14 am

Thats a very well made model, I am very impressed of that quality of work. However a number of Alleghenny models made it to the UK where they were sold by Clive Thompson a previous owner of 3SMR to my knowledge (limited) they were all wood and cardstock sides though not resin or plastic. Those car sides and ends have the look of the great Elmer Mckay about them to me. Years ago Elmer sent me a few resin car sides that look like those in the picture above. What I don't know is whether or not Elmer copied these from old starline sides or built his own masters from scratch
richardedmonds

Postby Arseny » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:48 am

milwrd1 wrote:I believe the TT scale Star Line molds and tooling (and possibly parts and kits) are located in storage somewhere in Chicago. John Harmon in 1993(?) sold his TT line to some gentlemen in Chicago who has since passed away. The gentlemen's family has not been willing to sell any of the items obtained from Harmon. :boohoo:

http://www.ttscale.com/w-history2.html

"When TT scale started to be displaced by the more popular N scale that appeared in the 1960's, most of the current TT scale manufacturers started closing their doors. It was at this time that John Harmon and Larry Sayer started to buy out these companies. When they did, they got the remaining stock and the rights to produce the products. John Harmon took an active role by assembling parts into kits and selling whatever he could, and he also made some parts to be used to complete some kits. John later sold most of the companies and parts he acquired to Stanley Lisowski who apparently had also acquired some of the newer injection molds for TT scale. Unfortunately when he passed away, his son inherited them. Apparently He (the son) was very bitter toward the TT community in general, and maybe even toward Dick Taylor and John Harmon, because his Father's dream was not realized. One of the rumors about the son is because he is bitter, these items will not be sold or released to the TT community, ever. The latest word on them is they have been improperly stored and have rusted or corroded beyond use."

Is it the same story?..
Arseny

Postby areibel » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:11 pm

I just talked to John Harmon and he did have the molds, and Yes, that's pretty much the rest of the story. It's not 100% correct, the stock IS for sale (if you have a spare $50K to buy it with!).
And a lot of what is there probably wouldn't have survived well, so the items that might still have some value (brass parts, molds, etc) are only a small part of what's there (think lots of warped wood, damp cardstock sides, etc..)
areibel

Postby TTTerrific » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:40 pm

I have a complete set of an AMP B-28 castings as well as two other castings (white resin) of two similar cars, one being a double door car. I intend to use the AMP castings for a personal master to use in my own TT modelling program. I am not overly conversant with 1935-1950 era steel box cars per se. Any one in TT Nutdom know what particular prototype the B-28 is based upon, when the cars were in service, and what railroads used them? :think:
TTTerrific

Postby scaro » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:47 am

I can have a shot at identifying what the double door car etc might represent, but I'd need a couple of good shots of the castings, side, end, roof and underframe.

I think the B-28 might also be an AAR 1937 boxcar, which doesn't do much for the variety we have. I think the trucks are mounted a bit too far under the car though. The ribbing on the door is a little different to the GC car but whether that is right or wrong I wouldn't know.

I do not know that prototype fidelity was as big an issue in the 1940s and 50s so sometimes these older cars are not really representative of any one car.

Ben
scaro

Postby j p » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:07 am

scaro wrote:I think the B-28 might also be an AAR 1937 boxcar, which doesn't do much for the variety we have. I think the trucks are mounted a bit too far under the car though.

Ben

Don't blame the kit for that :grin:
It is clear from the side where the trucks were supposed to be mounted.
j p

PreviousNext

Return to Star Line TT Scale Models