Southern Ry 36' SU-type boxcar - interest?

Southern Ry 36' SU-type boxcar - interest?

Postby Marquette » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:10 pm

SOU 158466.jpg

This is a 36' truss rod-underframe boxcar used mainly by the Southern in enormous numbers, lasting in use into the early 1960s. The (Gulf) Mobile & Ohio and the Chicago Indianapolis & Louisville (Monon) also used them into the immediate post-war period.

I've been talking with someone who "produced" a model of this car in N scale, and there's a possibility such a car could get made in TT, too, with the body being RPed via Shapeways or - with enough interest - resin castings. Trucks & couplers would be left up to the individual modeller, but decals would be worked out at our end if the project were to go ahead. This is what's roughly in mind right now - the details may and probably will change, depending on how much interest there is in the project.

So there's my question: how much interest would there be in a model of this car?
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Re: Southern Ry 36' SU-type boxcar - interest?

Postby railtwister » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:36 pm

Depending on the price and the quality of the job from Shapeways. Honestly though, I rather doubt that Shapeways' process will have the resolution to do the planking separations lines with satisfactory quality. Alex would know more...

Bill in FL
railtwister

Postby Marquette » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:44 pm

Well, as I said, with enough interest it'd probably end up being done in resin.

If there's only interest for a half dozen, then there's little point in going through that work/expense, and for my part, I'd settle with an RP body and rescribe it myself if needed.
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:47 pm

As Bill said, it all depends on the price and quality.

As for Shapeways, my thoughts are as follows:

The detailed version:
The Frosted Detail and Frosted Ultra Detail materials do a good job of detail and a decent job of surface finish. However, they are terrible for large areas like loco shells or car sides. They warp to unacceptable degrees and large objects tend to shrink a bit. They will also crack very easily. The only way to cure these problems is to add more material and thereby increasing the price to a point where it doesn't make sense any longer. I know many people are making/selling cars in these materials but I've spent enough of my own money to try to make them work that I know it's a lost cause.

Transparent Detail is decent but has a very low melting point and will sag under gravity/weight over time unless refrigerated. No good.

White Strong & Flexible material is fantastic for strength/durability but it lacks detail and surface finish.

The only material Ponoco provides that's usable for our purposes (don't remember the name) has good surface finish and SOMETIMES detail (it's very feature dependent) but warps across large surfaces as well and rounds sharp corners.

The bottom line:
The 4 cars I originally made and offered on Shapeways were a necessary first step. They brought life to NA TT and the possibility of having models that we provide for ourselves (given that no one is providing them for us).
However, now that interest has grown and a handful of people are contemplating/trying to come up with new models it's time to up our game. The next step is resin cast models. The Shapeways materials still have a very important role to play for development, non exposed parts and some very specific applications.

Any model I do from now on will have exposed surfaces made from resin castings rather than RP. I'll still purchase RPd models to support others' efforts (and do need to order a whole bunch of my own Shapeways cars) but I'll pay more and buy more for higher quality models.

Gimme castings.
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Arseny » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:20 am

I'll take one, if it will be Shapeways-made.

And I'll take 2, if it will be resin cast or plastic.
Arseny

Postby scaro » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:09 pm

depending on price, i'd take two.

the US lines that chiefly interest me are esoteric ones like the Pidcock lines of South Georgia, the Georgia & Florida and the West Point Route. i could imagine this car on any or all of the above.

ben
scaro

Postby jmass » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:03 pm

ill take one myself, even though i really cant use it. but i will support anybody doing anything to further develop the scale.
jmass

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:08 pm

Depending on the price, and road numbers we are interested in one, possibly more.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby richardedmonds » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:40 am

jmass wrote:ill take one myself, even though i really cant use it. but i will support anybody doing anything to further develop the scale.

Thats good for me as well, a couple if that helps you out
richardedmonds

Postby Taxari » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:47 am

I'm interested in 2 cars. It could fit to the western houses: american-style-buildings-t1256-10.html
Taxari

Next

Return to Prototypes / Models