Southern Ry 36' SU-type boxcar - interest?

Re: Southern Ry 36' SU-type boxcar - interest?

Postby scaro » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:42 am

ConducTTor wrote: As Bill said, it all depends on the price and quality.

As for Shapeways, my thoughts are as follows:

The detailed version:
The Frosted Detail and Frosted Ultra Detail materials do

(snip)

that is a good summary and consistent with what i have seen and ordered from others. i think there's a bit of market for WSF for thin external items like piping and archbar trucks where the rough surfaces aren't so apparent. and it's obviously got uses for chassis where it's hidden.

with either of the frosted materials, the brittleness puts me off. i don't think they are of use for applications where you expect some flexibility. they crack way too easily.

occasionally i see something grey-primed where it looks like they have resolved those surface problems but as you point out, close inspection shows they really haven't!

ConducTTor wrote:The bottom line:
The 4 cars I originally made and offered on Shapeways were a necessary first step. They brought life to NA TT and the possibility of having models that we provide for ourselves (given that no one is providing them for us).
However, now that interest has grown and a handful of people are contemplating/trying to come up with new models it's time to up our game. The next step is resin cast models. The Shapeways materials still have a very important role to play for development, non exposed parts and some very specific applications.

Any model I do from now on will have exposed surfaces made from resin castings rather than RP. I'll still purchase RPd models to support others' efforts (and do need to order a whole bunch of my own Shapeways cars) but I'll pay more and buy more for higher quality models.

Gimme castings.

i am sorry in a way as i wish the shapeways process was better such that one could come up with acceptable models via the RP process but at the moment it is a frustrating cul-de-sac.

i think the company are going to see modellers migrate away from them in time. i wonder whether that is a significant enough part of their market that they care? probably not.

like a lot of digital methods, RP has innovative features re price, replicability and ease of production that make it exciting for a short time, but in the end, the end product gets all fuzzy around the details and does not stack up.

give me good old analog casting by hand. still cheap, not quite so easy to replicate (but not hard either) but a far superior finish.
scaro

Postby scaro » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:52 pm

just giving a bump to this topic. did anything happen with the southern rwy boxcar project? i am interested primarily in the mid to late 60s period, with a focus on the south, as far as my american dabblings go. i do not know whether they lasted to that time on the southern, though one source says they vanished pretty quick after WW2, it also says a large number migrated to shortlines.

regards, ben
scaro

Postby TTTerrific » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:02 am

Marquette,

Very interesting box car! If done in resin with good detailing and good decals, and priced appropriately (affordable?--whatever that means) I'd take at least two.

Good luck with your project.
TTTerrific

Postby Marquette » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:34 am

Ben: there were still 251 of them in use (revenue, interchange) on the Southern in 1953, and 17 still listed as being in revenue service (available for interchange) in the January 1970 ORER. I know the Monon had them too, but they were gone by the end of the war, and GM&O had 7 left listed in 1953 (of Mobile & Ohio origin). Of shortlines, I know of the Atlantic & Danville and the Lancaster & Chester as having operated ex-Southern SUs. I have photos of all of these (well, not 100% certain on the CIL/Monon cars, but I know I've got photos of Southern, L&C and A&D).

As far as the project goes, though, I haven't been in contact with the gentleman in question in quite a while... a dozen models (which is about the total interest expressed in this thread) isn't enough to press forward with this, at least, not as a resin cast kit.

If this was 2006/7, when I was at the height of my interest in the Piedmont & Northern, and working out plans for modelling some part of the Greenville - Greenwood (SC) line - P&N parallel to Southern - then I'd probably want a dozen all for myself. However, even for myself now I'd only want one or at most two, so... yeah, I don't see this as a viable project any longer.

IF there is one project for a kit that I will follow through on, it will be the X29, because I can't see how anyone can argue that there is anything more important in terms of boxcars that is needed in TT. But even that... motivation... etc.
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby scaro » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:25 pm

that's cool. i understand changing interests, mine certainly dart all over the place.
scaro

Postby scaro » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:12 pm

just bumping this up again, with marquette's return. it is an interesting enough car for me to still want one, if the guy making it is interested in TT-ing it, although i think we concluded the numbers aren't good.

the mobile & ohio ordered the last, in 1928 ... very late for a car with truss rods, but when the GM&O got rid of the last of theirs i don't know.
scaro

Postby Marquette » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:09 pm

The GM&O's were out of service by the end of the war-ish, but Southern had them in revenue service into the late 50s... still had 22 on the books in 1959.
Marquette

Postby scaro » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:32 pm

thank you. that is a pity as the date fairly well rules it out. i'm still something of a boxcar freak though. i see the GM&O had tall mather cars which are weird enough to stimulate my interest ... got a bit of work in tonight on making an improved dreadnaught end, which some of them had. as esoteric as they looked, the mather cars seem to have been robust designs; GM&O had some to the mid 60s and the AC&Y's ran into the early 70s.
scaro

Postby Marquette » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:12 am

Are you gonna cast those Improved Dreadnaughts? If so I'd love a few pair! Mather cars are nifty and I certainly wouldn't mind one.

Also, just scrolled back up a few posts - I was confusing the GM&O with CIL - the GM&O still had 7 of these in '53. Southern still had 7 listed for interchange use in /1970/.

And yeah, I doubt the numbers will be good enough. If we take the expressed interest here, cut it in half... 8 or nine or a dozen isn't really gonna be worth his while. A shame, but there you go. Everyone wants models of things built last year...
Marquette

Postby scaro » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:37 pm

i think i will. they have lots of applications. it's all about working out a reliable way to file the pressings to shape but i seem to have worked that out.

i wish folk wouldn't cast car ends with tack boards in place ... each RR seemed to place them slightly differently.

adding them is surely one of the most simple things to do. and removing cast on ones is a major hassle.
scaro

PreviousNext

Return to Prototypes / Models