South Australian Railways DWF van

South Australian Railways DWF van

Postby scaro » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:47 pm

Hi

A bit of work tonight on this van, which I'd hope down the track I might cast. The body isn't finished yet, hence the wonky roof. It's a small 4-wheel louvre van used on the former South Australian Railways for less-than-carload (LCL) traffic. Sometimes used to convey bagged fertiliser, cement or salt etc as well.

DWF in TT 002.JPG
DWF in TT 002.JPG (70.93 KiB) Viewed 626 times

The scale is actually 1:112.889 or 2.7mm/ft, and I did it as a test to see whether I liked the size. This scale would allow the use of the finescale wheels and 14.2mm track gauge of the 3mm Society. Despite the smaller scale, the van is the same size of a 3mm scale van, Australian wagons being somewhat bigger than UK ones in real life, and similar in height and width to a US TT boxcar. As Australian railways are somewhat of a compromise anyway, this seems fitting.

These vans were equipped with knuckle couplers and continuous air brakes, in part a legacy of former SAR Commissioner WA Webb, formerly of the M-K-T Railroad. They were built in the 1950s. Here's a real one: http://www.robx1.net/b376_400/b386_28.jpg

Despite Webb setting in motion a habit of investing in steel bogie rolling stock, the SAR found old habits hard to break and they continued to order 4 wheel wagons up until the 1970s.

Ben
Last edited by scaro on Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
scaro

Re: South Australian Railways DWF van

Postby CSD » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:37 pm

Is this scratch built or a kit? Looks good!
Mark
//S
CSD

Re: South Australian Railways DWF van

Postby scaro » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:10 pm

Gday, CSD and thanks. It's scratchbuilt. I usually scale down an outline or line diagram and build from that but after finding more than one of these which was obviously wrong, I'm learning that to get things right, there's no substitute for calculating the measurements and using calipers to ensure everything is square.

Ben
scaro

Return to Prototypes / Models