Sound blocks

Sound blocks

Postby AstroGoat760 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:26 am

Does anyone here use sound blocks on their layout?

I remember seeing some at the 2013 National Train Show in Atlanta, GA, and even more so at the 2009 National Train Show in Hartford, CT.

Basically they are small speaker systems that can fit inside of buildings and other scenery, and can be used to add sound to a layout. Some are as complete as self contained MP3 systems, while others require a source of the music/sounds to be played.

TTerry0177 had quipped about how "cool" it would be to have farm sounds coming from the farm section of our under-construction 4' x 3' module last night, and I remembered about those delightful little blocks, and told him that we would look into getting something like that as soon as we can.

Any thoughts?
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Re: Sound blocks

Postby RodTT » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:06 am

I have a 10-minute sound loop on my MP3 player which I sometimes place below my layout. It comprises distant traffic, trains switching in a yard, passing voices etc, as would be heard by a trainspotter at a switching location. It's ideal for a small switching layout.

Trouble is, my player's speakers are too small for the sound to carry much in a large exhibition venue, so I didn't make much use of it, especially as the sound got drowned out by the sound from the locos themselves.

But I think something like this does add atmosphere if done well.
RodTT

Postby AstroGoat760 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:21 pm

Sound Oasis makes some pretty potent sound machines. I have a BST-100 that the VA sent me to help with sleep problems, and it is quite loud and rumbly for such a small device.

It is about 2 and half inches wide and a little over 2 and half inches tall, and it can easily drown out my tinnitus.

Expect to spend about $50-90 for one like mine, though. But I like being able to mix my VA therapy with my model trains.

Here is the direct link to the one I have: https://www.soundoasis.com/products/sle ... d-machine/
AstroGoat760

Postby krokodil » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:39 pm

I am using also my very first M3 players ( some of them have a kapacity only about 200-500 MB). I use diferent laudspeakers ( salvaged from old radios, etc). They are built in some of the buildings and also in forrest. The output of 4 MP3 players can be diverted to any of the speakers ( over a simple relay board). I have some nature noises ( forrest, birds, traffic, station etc) so I can create almost any ambient
Greetings from Austria
E.T.
krokodil

Postby Arseny » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:16 am

There was an article about that "offline" sounds in the Model Railroad Hobbyist Magazine (http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/), Aug 2011, by Rick Wade

Also, I still do not have the layout, but I have MRC Sound Station decision. It is "offline sound" device.
There are two versions - one with railroad sounds, and one with "City&Country" sounds.
Unfortunately, you can't upload your own new sounds in it.

As I know, NOCH offers the same thing.
Arseny

Postby Sventton » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:50 am

I'm no real techie, but I am a cyclist, they make small Bluetooth speakers for bicycle use that would fit inside TT buildings or could be easily camouflaged perhaps. Any mp3 tracks could be played through them.
Sventton

Postby AstroGoat760 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:55 pm

So, as far as the sound blocks are concerned, does anyone know of good sources of sounds, for things such as factories and such?
AstroGoat760

Return to General Discussion