SOO switcher - missing handrail holes?

SOO switcher - missing handrail holes?

Postby RodTT » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:47 am

You will notice in the picture below that my SOO switcher doesn't have any handrails on the cab sides. This is because there are no holes there to fit them (though handrails were supplied). Is this just a mistake or were there instances on the prototype where these handrails weren't fitted?

P1040759.JPG
RodTT

Re: SOO switcher - missing handrail holes?

Postby Tom Dempsey » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:33 pm

The handrails for that era should be attached at "shoulder" height to the hood. Walkway attached full length handrails on EMD switchers came later.
Tom Dempsey

Postby areibel » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:42 pm

Yep, there were several variations of handrails depending on the railroad-for example New York required full length side rails as a safety feature so anything that ran there would have them, but others just had railings at the steps.
The MTD model came with the basic rails unless you got one decorated for a railroad that had them, like the SP version.
Here's a pic of your SOO locomotive with the rails that Tom described-
http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/soo/soo322ags.jpg
areibel

Postby RodTT » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:04 pm

I didn't mean on the hood, I meant right at the back each side of the cab, by the steps. There should presumably be holes for rails to the right of the steps as you look at my picture, like on the prototype picture.
RodTT

Postby areibel » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:11 pm

I see what you mean- the candy cane shaped rails mounted to the cab. I looked at my undecorated unit and there aren't any holes for them, I don't know if they came on the SOO decorated units or not, they may have made a mistake at the factory in leaving them off. They aren't too difficult to install, I think I used a #79 or #80 bit, located the first hole and drilled the plastic then once the pin fit into the hole you can mark and drill the second. I drilled them by hand, I was doing the long handrails and drilling into the metal chassis but it wasn't too bad, and most of them wound up in the right place! If they're unpainted I'd probably drill the holes then paint the rails and install, I'd be able to turn the whole cab white if I tried to paint them in place...
Good luck!
areibel

Postby RodTT » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:18 am

Thanks. An exercise for when I'm feeling very patient. I'll be interested to see how many spectators at the show on Sunday notice!
RodTT

Postby Arseny » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:26 pm

I had purchased the SOO version too, it runs well, but the holes for the handrails are also missed.

I must drill the hole and install the handrails, of course, but I still didn't do that... :)
Arseny

Postby RodTT » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:09 pm

Arseny wrote:I had purchased the SOO version too, it runs well, but the holes for the handrails are also missed.

I must drill the hole and install the handrails, of course, but I still didn't do that... :)

Shall we have a race to see who does it first?? :P
RodTT

Return to General Discussion