Something Ugly

Something Ugly

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:39 pm

And for once it is not my mother in law.....

Well, bad news, kinda. The blue locomotive (0-6-0) suffered some paint damage, so I decided to put the shell into the same boiling cauldron as the 4-6-2 boiler. I knew that the shell was a John Fisher recasting of a HP small boiler, what I did not realize is that it was a white metal casting, which has a very low melting point, roughly the same as 60/40 solder. This is the first time I have had a problem with stripping paint off by this method, ever. I have been doing this for method for years because it avoids the skin and inhalation hazards that chemical strippers present.

The rest of the engine is fine, just the damage to the firebox section and a small "bite" out of the smoke-box.

Rather than just junk the boiler shell, we have decided to rebuild it. Since we are both sure that any attempt to make the boiler look like it originally did would be both uglier than my mother in law (a hard one to pull off, mind you), and would take a lot more time than retrofitting into a different configuration would.

Hence, the decision to turn a relatively common loco shell into an oddball - a camelback, with a huge firebox for burning anthracite, and a mid mounted cab for visibility.
ImageImage

And the type of loco the shell will be turned into:
ImageImage
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Re: Something Ugly

Postby Marquette » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:12 pm

Trust the CNJ to come up with something as ridiculously ugly as that...
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:41 pm

That "thing" is downright heinous LOL!
My website: http://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:16 pm

ConducTTor wrote:That "thing" is downright heinous LOL!

Which thing? The damaged white metal casting or the Camelback?

And no, the CNJ did not invent the Camelback. The B&O and Reading were responsible for the two "flavors" of Camelback locomotives. Given the technology at the time, and the want to use anthracite scraps, the design made sense.

I personally like the Camelbacks, because they are slightly mis-shapen, not too pleasant to look at, and weird - just like me!

Here are some pages on the Camelback for those that are interested:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camelback_locomotive
http://www.steamlocomotive.com/camelback/
AstroGoat760

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:21 pm

Here is a picture of me, for those that are curious:
AstroGoat760

Postby Marquette » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:23 pm

CNJ, Reading, B&O... whatever. It's not Canadian and it's not Southern, SAL or ACL. So it looks odd/ugly by default! ;)

EDIT: ("Canadian" includes Pere Marquette and Canada Southern as well, just for clarification!)
Last edited by Marquette on Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:25 pm

AngrySailor302 wrote:

Which thing?

The Camelback. I've been known to like some "ugly" locos but that one I can't get over.
My website: http://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:27 pm

ConducTTor wrote:
AngrySailor302 wrote:

Which thing?

The Camelback. I've been known to like some "ugly" locos but that one I can't get over.

So what are your feelings on the BL-2?

By the way, the last photo was of me during my Senior Year in High School.
AstroGoat760

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:16 pm

Well,

I just came back from a train show today, and I may have a solution to the damaged boiler problem: at a booth that sold older model trains, I found this:
ImageImageImageImage

The engine is a HP 0-6-0 missing the cab, motor, and worm gear. I can fit the motor, worm gear, and cab from the damaged 0-6-0 into this 0-6-0, after it gets restored and repainted. Instead of trying to rebuild the damaged white metal boiler casting, I can simply build a new boiler out of brass, and fit a new can motor and worm gear into it. The damaged boiler can either go into a crash scene, or be part of a shop scene.

The boxes contain a mostly un-built HP Products caboose and a bunch of detail parts including box car doors and trucks. There are instructions for both boxes, the other box was to a boxcar, and the instructions are in bad shape, so it will be a bit until I scan that....

I wish I got to the show yesterday, as the guy sold a HP passenger set for about $150, including an E-9 A/B and 7 cars. And he also sold a DMU car as well..... :(
Well, there are others out there into TT scale....

I also found this at the show today for $10. The guy I bought this from said that he had a number of them and wanted to be rid of them. I will give him a call to see what he has left.
AstroGoat760

Return to Prototypes / Models