something that never existed

Post your photos and video links here

something that never existed

Postby jmass » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:16 pm

dog ebay 142.jpg
this is bachmanns n scale gp 50 high nose locomotive painted in erie lackawana colors. the reason i find this interesting is that erie lackawana was absorbed by conrail in 1976 and gp 50s were not produced till 1980. erie lackawana never had any. i wonder why bachmann decided to go ahead with this paint scheme. somebody didnt do their research? for some reason i couldnt copy and paste this picture so had to take shot off computer.
jmass

Re: something that never existed

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:47 pm

There is quite a bit of model trains that Bachmann (and other makers) had made over the years that never had a real life counterpart.

For example, we have a pair of HO scale Bachmann GS-4 4-8-4 locomotives. One is of the 4449 in it's American Freedom Train paint job. The other is a GS-4 wearing a modified Chessie Steam Special paint job, complete with the number 2101, which is the real number of the Reading T-1 4-8-4 used by the Chessie System for the Chessie Steam Special.

Model railroading is replete with "never was" items. The goal of making money with minimal investment was (and is) more important to big companies over accuracy.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby j p » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:27 am

There is a long tradition in making something that never existed also in TT scale.
Zeuke's V200 DB + cars in SJ scheme and CCCP scheme
T334 CSD in DSB scheme

BTTB's BR110 DR in DB schemes
DR Y-passenger cars in DB scheme

Tillig continues in this tradition
M61 MAV in DSB scheme (this is not so obvious)
BR 143 DR in green-black DR scheme

j p

Postby scaro » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:36 am

i used to have one of these GP50s. the only correct scheme for the high hood GP50 was southern's 'tuxedo', black and silver with gold trim and letters, i think, and bachmann released it in southern green, which it didn't wear... it was also about a foot too wide in the hood.

all up, a very odd locomotive. i do not think erie lackawanna owned anything you could have confused a GP50 with, so it is puzzling. their last high hood locos were GP9s.

some errors you can understand ... for example, in N, there are a lot of northern pacific composite (ie wood sheathed) boxcars. doesn't matter what kind of composite boxcar it is, the manufacturer will whack an NP paint job on it. the reason is that the NP built a huge number of 'war emergency boxcars' with wood sheathing to their own design in WW2 and these were modern vehicles ... even as of 1970 there were 900 in service, so your chances of seeing an NP composite boxcar in a train of more modern looking stock were very good at that time, when N was starting off.

even in TT the RailTT USRA boxcar is shown in an NP scheme and that is not correct for the type of car that it is. i believe only canadian RRs owned this version.

did bachmann ever release the GS1 4-8-4 in western pacific paint? i hope so!
scaro

Postby Marquette » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:33 am

scaro wrote:even in TT the RailTT USRA boxcar is shown in an NP scheme and that is not correct for the type of car that it is. i believe only canadian RRs owned this version.

Almost - but not quite. The Rutland RR did own one - #7999. (It was an ex-CN car).
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby Christtking » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:31 am

To jp:
You are absolutely right!
And what's up with the 4 axle reko cars from Zeuke/BTTB/TILLIG era, manufactured by Tillig as "START-MODELS" category (article numbers 13609, 13625, 13626, 13627, 13759 and maybe others) in IC colours, especially this one is very funny, art.# 500557 driving cab E5, released only for TT-Club members, freelance model in IC colouring also.
Found another one (I'm not exactly sure if it ever hit the shelves), Tillig article number 13801 (listed in the 2005 NEWS leaflet), double-decker type DBz 750 in the 1980 colour scheme beige/ocre for DR (IV). This type of car (at that time) was traveling on DB tracks only (with different colour schemes), never on DR side. The correct passenger car (double-decker) with those colours (beige-ocre) was released by KUEHN, type DBmue, DR (IV), article number 41140 (and others with different running numbers).
Christtking

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:38 am

I don't have a problem with freelance models. No one is forced to buy them. They are fantasy diversions. I have a NoHab in DB Cargo livery which is not prototypical but I like it very much :) Same with my Kuhn TT-Board ER 20.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Christtking » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:22 pm

To ConducTTor: I hear you! I buy once in a while "START"/ freelance models to take them apart and use them for spare parts.
Christtking

Return to Photos / Videos