some questions about HP Products Articulated

Re: some questions about HP Products Articulated

Postby richardedmonds » Sun May 13, 2012 6:00 am

Does anybody have any pictures of the 2-8-8-2 I know some existed but I have never heard of anybody with one to photograph
richardedmonds

Postby areibel » Sun May 13, 2012 12:45 pm

Hi Richard,
I've never seen one either. I thought I had one a few years back, I got an email from an individual (that I'm sure you know) offering a 2-8-8-2, a Cab Forward no less! I was still ignorant about what HP had produced so I jumped on it. What I got were two 2-8-0 frames butchered up and soldered together, along with a standard HP artic. boiler with a cab formed out of brass that sort of looked like a SP Cab Forward cab (but not a lot!) and epoxied on with about two pounds of goo. No where near operable, the workmanship was horrid, and all the builder had done was to ruin a bunch of stuff. I had it on the "Wall of Shame" in the basement for a while, but wound up swapping parts away for something else.
That's why I get a little nervous about guys talking about "converting" stuff- When I first took my Emergency Medical training they taught us the biggest rule was "First, do no Harm"- that is, Don't make things worse for your patient. Cutting up 60 year old parts to try and build something-Yikes! There are actually options out there- a fold up chassis from Worsley Works or a complete chassis from Tillig, drivers from Tillig or one of the current builders, a boiler from a small HO locomotive or from thin brass tubing, etc.. A lot of work, but probably not more than using HP parts. And if you can use a current chassis to build with, they'll run a lot better!
areibel

Postby richardedmonds » Sun May 13, 2012 2:28 pm

I heard about that monster years ago, you was the lucky recipitent then. I agree about the frames though, there is no need to cut up existing parts these days. The 3mm society now do a range of wheels suitable for us to use and I am sure Allan from Worsley would adapt some of his chassis to suit a decent steam loco if requested
richardedmonds

Postby Rob M » Sun May 13, 2012 2:41 pm

I remember seeing pictures of a 2-8-8-2. Maybe back at the old yahoo website and if I remember right the owner's name was something like Dakota Martin. He had some pictures of wall mounted display cases like 6-8 rows high. There were some odd ones that were custom built but I'm almost possitive there was a 2-8-8-2 in his collection. Sure wish I still had my old website up as I beleive I had a copy of the photos on there.
Rob M

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sun May 13, 2012 3:17 pm

richardedmonds wrote:Does anybody have any pictures of the 2-8-8-2 I know some existed but I have never heard of anybody with one to photograph

I saw one at a train show at Allentown, PA; back when I first got into TT scale. The guy wanted about $2,000 for it. Even if I had the money at the time, I wouldn't have bought it, because for the first few years I was in TT, it was exclusivity European models only. The thing looked like a pair of HP Mikados that were mashed together with a modified 4-6-6-4 boiler, with a noticeable seam where the two boilers connected.

I never bothered to take pictures though, as most dealers at train shows do not like photos if you do not buy from them.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby richardedmonds » Sun May 13, 2012 4:28 pm

Rob M wrote:I remember seeing pictures of a 2-8-8-2. Maybe back at the old yahoo website and if I remember right the owner's name was something like Dakota Martin. He had some pictures of wall mounted display cases like 6-8 rows high. There were some odd ones that were custom built but I'm almost possitive there was a 2-8-8-2 in his collection. Sure wish I still had my old website up as I beleive I had a copy of the photos on there.

That would be Gary Raabe I think, I do remember that photo from the old TTSMR site which is now closed. I don't remember the 2-8-8-2 though but it was a long while back. Gary has a really good collection of the old HP loco's would like to see those again, I thought he was a member here or maybe its TT_IMS
richardedmonds

Postby Rob M » Sun May 13, 2012 4:49 pm

Hmm, that name sounds familar too.
Rob M

Postby areibel » Sun May 13, 2012 7:59 pm

It might have been Dennis Martin too, I know he liked HP Mountains but maybe he has an articulated or two?
I think Gary is on here too, I think I've seen him post once or twice, I'll hav eto dig around.
areibel

Postby Murad » Sun May 13, 2012 8:17 pm

@Al
thank you! I thnk I can understand this

Buy the way do I need this part?
4640-12 4 wheel trailing truck
WTB any of the HP Products locomotive parts
Murad

Postby areibel » Mon May 14, 2012 9:32 am

Hi Murad,
That's a trailing truck for a Hudson (4-6-4, so the part number is 4640-xx). I would have to double check which trailing truck was used on the articulated, I think that one was used mainly on the 4-6-2 and 4-6-4.
areibel

Previous

Return to General Discussion