Some photos from TTSMR files

Post your photos and video links here

Re: Some photos from TTSMR files

Postby BTTB Fan » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:22 pm

TTSMR wrote:This is a German Berliner Bahnan model of the U7B loco converted to US prototype.

Just had to remove the bumpers and instal microtrain couplers plus a little paint.

These were US prototype that were also exported overseas.

Several were used on US shortline rail roads.

Brilliant! This is the conversion even I can do! :D
Alexei
BTTB Fan

Postby AstroGoat760 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:06 pm

I have one of those with a cracked shell. I may just skip the shell repair and replace it with a US prototype.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby scaro » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:46 pm

I am wondering if this loco really is a GE or just a European loco that looks similar? Maybe a knock-off of a GE in looks but that happens all the time. Czechoslovakia did not own any export GEs, according to the GE Export page. Spain was the only European country with something similar.

I've not heard of a U7B. I know Lancaster & Chester and Santa Maria Valley had U6Bs. This shot shows how much smaller this loco is than standard US stock. Even a 70 tonner towers over it: http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 025&nseq=0

The model does look nice in Frisco paint. Very inspired.

One country that does a lot of TT kits, New Zealand, has some U10Bs, a later model but very similar. Six, bought from a Philippine order that the PNR couldn't afford. From this pic of an Sn3 1/2 example on Mark4Design's site, I wonder if anyone has thought about one in NZ120?

http://www.mark4design.com/html/miscellaneous.html

These little GEs are used worldwide . . . every continent. Not pretty, but it's hard not to like them. I remember riding behind an older GE through the slums of Manila. People sitting on their 'verandahs' had to pull their feet in to let the train past.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tramwayjoh ... 936226@N00

The chassis would be a sinch. Atlas N GP40 (or U25B?) has the right bogies and just about the right spacing between axle centres. 2mm off maybe. Add 7.35mm diameter Kato SD80 wheels (ordered from their site) to give it TT sized feet. It's probably not that hard to regauge to 12mm, and the Atlas is a seriously good chassis.

Ben
scaro

Postby CSD » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:21 pm

scaro wrote:I am wondering if this loco really is a GE or just a European loco that looks similar? Maybe a knock-off of a GE in looks but that happens all the time. Czechoslovakia did not own any export GEs, according to the GE Export page. Spain was the only European country with something similar.

It is a "knock-off". The T435 was built by ÄŒKD Praha (Czechoslovakia) as an export locomotive in the American style between 1958 and 1961. But, if it looks like the GE why not use it?
Attachments
720001d.jpg
Prototype
CME2096a.jpg
Russian Export Version
V75003a.jpg
German Export Version
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby AstroGoat760 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:59 pm

CSD wrote:
scaro wrote:I am wondering if this loco really is a GE or just a European loco that looks similar? Maybe a knock-off of a GE in looks but that happens all the time. Czechoslovakia did not own any export GEs, according to the GE Export page. Spain was the only European country with something similar.

It is a "knock-off". The T435 was built by ÄŒKD Praha (Czechoslovakia) as an export locomotive in the American style between 1958 and 1961. But, if it looks like the GE why not use it?

Close enough is good enough for me in TT!
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby CSD » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:13 pm

Since we're on the topic, here are some pictures from my vacation in the Czech republic of a T458. It has the same basic body as the T435 but has more axel weight and a faster maximum speed.
Attachments
PB010961.jpg
PB010965.jpg
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby TTSMR » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:48 pm

Great photos guys!

You can clearly see the different style power trucks . The triangular looking trucks are thr European style.

The way I understand it the loco was designed and built by GE as and exported to various countries.

At some point in Europe GE allowed then to be built under contract. Thus the 2 different power trucks under the loco. One US and one European. This is what was handed down to me on the history.

There were a few actually used on short line RRs in the US so you would have a US prototype if you get the correct power trucks.

The RR scale model was manufactured in both versions an yes it it a very easy conversion.

Hers another conversion you can do.

The German ICE train was used in the US by Amtrak. It was evaluated on Amtrak lines as one possibility for Amtrak passenger service.

ice_front_140x200.jpg
ice_front_140x200.jpg (15.06 KiB) Viewed 350 times

ice_ivycity_240x100.jpg
ice_ivycity_240x100.jpg (15.38 KiB) Viewed 350 times

Another easy conversion that would be correct. Just add Amtrak logos! All Amtrak did was use longer couplers and put their logo on it.

tillig ice.jpg
tillig ice.jpg (14.57 KiB) Viewed 351 times

Here is a link for reference:
http://www.modellbahn.com/amtrak_ice.html

Here is EuroTrains page with the price:
http://www.eurotrainhobby.com/product_i ... s9kbm2pq64

Who said TT scale is dead!?
TTSMR

Postby chrishappe » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:30 pm

A couple of these diesels look kind of familiar. See Chris' Diesels in the Models and Prototypes section. That Kemtron Docksider is one of mine too.
Cheers, Chris
chrishappe

Postby TTSMR » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:49 pm

Chris,

Didnt one of your locos win an award?

Don
TTSMR

Postby chrishappe » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:05 am

Yes I just remembered. I submitted a photo of the G-12 to the NMRA and it was posted on their website as the model of the month. It was also used on the TT Scale website. Chris
chrishappe

PreviousNext

Return to Photos / Videos