Some British steam, or what I did on my holidays

Post your photos and video links here

Some British steam, or what I did on my holidays

Postby Rich B » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:23 pm

I've just been oop noarth for my holidays, staying by the beach for my daughter's pleasure and near the North Yorkshire Moors Railway for mine. As things turned out, the museum line wasn't the only place I'd see steam.

The railway action actually started the day before we left, as I'd got a deal on tickets for the Shakespeare Express, taking us from Stratford upon Avon to Birmingham Snow Hill and back. It was actually my first time riding behind a steam locomotive on a British main line, so I was pretty happy. I was even happier when the stock turned out to be mkIIs, my favourite post-war British coaches. Our traction was 5043, Earl of Mount Edgcumbe. Here she is running round at Snow Hill. Behind the crowd is one of Chiltern Railway's class 168 "Clubman" DMUs. Chiltern is a subsidiary of DB Regio!

DSC_0151.JPG

Well, the next day we drove up to Filey, our holiday destination for a few days. Holiday Camp Hell as far as I was concerned, but the beach was nice. As a point of interest the holiday camp used to have its own station with a triangular junction, which can be made out on from aerial imagery here.

Filey is near Scarborough. Scarborough is the destination for a regular steam excursion train from York, the Scarborough Spa Express. I sought out the only bit of elevation I could find by the railway, and got a less than fantastic photo. Still, here's Scots Guardsman putting in the honours.

1097129_10151771178705218_2021161380_o.jpg

We had planned to visit the North Yorkshire Moors Railway on a rainy day. One duly came (this is Britain, after all!) and off we went. It's a very scenic line with some challenging gradients, and our first loco had a good few slips on the climb up. Goathland station on the NYMR stood in for Hogsmead in the Harry Potter films. I had a surprise- an S160! I had no idea any were preserved. This Baldwin build beast had an exhaust bark like an angry alsatian and a whistle like Haydn limbering up on a cathedral organ. I tried for a bit of atmosphere in this picture to make up for my lack of talent!

S160.jpg

From Yorkshire, we went on to visit my inlaws over in Cumbria. They live a half hour drive from the Settle and Carlisle line. I checked the net, and found an excursion running. Here Stanier 8F 48151 crosses Long Meg viaduct, assisted by 37706 to reduce the risk of lineside fire- the grasses on the fells are very dry at present.

8f.jpg

So that's a week's activities, Sunday 11th August to Sunday 18th. It hasn't been my only railway activity this summer, so if you'd like me to post more, I will!

Cheers

Rich
Rich B

Re: Some British steam, or what I did on my holidays

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:02 pm

Cool! I need to do a "railway" activity one of these days. I've never done one.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby AstroGoat760 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:40 pm

ConducTTor wrote:Cool! I need to do a "railway" activity one of these days. I've never done one.

The Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum in Chattanooga, TN is having their Railfest during the 7th and 8th of September this year, they will have Southern Railway #630, a 2-8-0 making trips this year to Cleveland, TN and back. That might be an idea for you, and if you want, we plan on going ourselves and you can tag along.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:34 pm

Hmmm.... Kind of soon but maybe....
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Return to Photos / Videos