Solder Paste

Solder Paste

Postby RodTT » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:01 pm

I'm about to start making the Lok-n-Roll flatcar kit and the instructions recommend using solder paste. I obviously need as neat a job as possible, without warping the model. I have plenty solder wire but no paste - should I get some or could I get by with the wire?
Any suggestions appreciated.
RodTT

Re: Solder Paste

Postby MacG » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:22 pm

I prefer, after a suggestion of a friend, SMD solder paste CR44.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we are shipping worldwide :wink:
MacG

Postby krokodil » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:01 pm

RodTT wrote:I'm about to start making the Lok-n-Roll flatcar kit and the instructions recommend using solder paste. I obviously need as neat a job as possible, without warping the model. I have plenty solder wire but no paste - should I get some or could I get by with the wire?
Any suggestions appreciated.

Instead of solder paste i prefer solder liquids.
The best one ( and less dangerous) is based on phosphoric acid, alcohol and destilled water mixture - I do not know if this is available now commercially, please check. This evaporates immediatelly from the surface and there is no need for cleaning even on the most delicate details.
Instead of the typical electronic solder wire use a special solder without a flux and the above mentioned solder liquid. This gives the cleanest surface and the easy covenient work ( and almost no smell :-) ).
Greetings from Austria
E.T.
krokodil

Postby RodTT » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:45 am

Thanks both, in the end I remembered I had some low-melt solder so I used that with phosphoric acid flux. It's been going together reasonably well, the only metal parts I have left to do are the fiddly stake pocket strips.
Unfortunately I didn't fold up one of the side panels properly and it's a bit wonky - I'll have to keep that side away from the general view!
RodTT

Return to General Discussion