Smoke generators?

Smoke generators?

Postby AstroGoat760 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:56 pm

I have been toying with the idea of adding smoke generators to some of the structures on my TT Scale display layout. Has anyone done so in the past, and are there any points that I need to look out for?
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Re: Smoke generators?

Postby krokodil » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:15 am

pic 34.jpg
Fire dept.

I did it in the past, it is a nice effect but on the layout it is a challenge to fill the smoke units with liquid. ( do not forget them where they are :wtf: It is not that simple like on locomotives.)
I used the biggest ones. When I remember I got them on some fleamarket from the guy selling off his dollhouse stuff.
At installation do not forget that those devices are getting hot so no plastic parts should be in contact with them. Paper and wood is OK. There is also an issue with the smoke liquids. They can damage the surface painting and the structures, mostly weathered, are not optimal for cleaning.
The picture above from my H0 layout.(the fire dept. did not burn out because of the smoke unit... :boohoo: ).
Greetings from Austria
E.T.
krokodil

Postby RodTT » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:44 am

I've used a Seuthe 117 on my last two layouts, stuck inside the top of a factory chimney. On my previous layout the chimney was plastic and on Naples Street it's paper. I've never had any problems with overheating.
The Seuthe own-brand smoke oil takes a few seconds to start smoking. I use a different fluid from a supplier here in the UK, which makes the chimney start to smoke almost instantaneously from switch-on.
On Naples Street spectators can start the chimney smoking by pressing a button on the front of the layout. It's connected to a timer and the smoke stops after a minute or so.
P1040632.JPG
RodTT

Postby krokodil » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:12 am

The timer is a good idea. I will also built-in some timers ( I also use to forget to switch off the smoking buildings. :-) )
Greetings from Austria
E.T.
krokodil

Postby Tom Dempsey » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:59 pm

I prefer the ceiling in the train room stay unlubricated.
Tom Dempsey

Postby RodTT » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:54 pm

Ah well, mine only gets operated at shows or when someone comes to have a look at the layout. Or if I fancy a whiff of the smoke...
RodTT

Postby AstroGoat760 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:27 pm

I do also run old American Flyer, Marx, and Lionel trains now and again, so the scent of Cedar smoke fluid is pretty common in my house, so a few smoke stacks from my TT modules will not change things.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby RodTT » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:19 am

AstroGoat760 wrote:I do also run old American Flyer, Marx, and Lionel trains now and again, so the scent of Cedar smoke fluid is pretty common in my house, so a few smoke stacks from my TT modules will not change things.

Have you given any thought to how you're going to control them? If you want more that just manual on/off operation, and you're going to install a few, it strikes me that an Arduino would be ideal. Not that I've ever used one.
RodTT

Postby Bernd » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:01 am

I wonder if you could use one of those e-cigarettes would work?

https://vapingdaily.com/best-electronic-cigarettes/

Bernd
Bernd

Postby CFRiad » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:33 pm

Bernd wrote:I wonder if you could use one of those e-cigarettes would work?

https://vapingdaily.com/best-electronic-cigarettes/

Bernd

Depends what you want to achieve.
CFRiad

Next

Return to Builders' Corner