Small HP steamer cabs?

Small HP steamer cabs?

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:28 pm

I have made a realization about a number of the HP locos that I have in line on my workbench to restore/overhaul: about half of them have either no cab, or have a damaged cab.

Does anyone know of a source of workable cabs for TT scale North American steam locos?
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Re: Small HP steamer cabs?

Postby Tom Dempsey » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:35 pm

HOn3 cabs kits from Precision Scale perhaps, although, the buzz right now is that Precision Scale is changing hands. I haven't heard anything more substantive, but, the folks I got the word from are generally in the know.
Tom Dempsey

Postby areibel » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:59 pm

3SMR in England supposedly has John Fisher's molds, but I don't think they have any plans to do anything with them. Richard E. might have better insight on that, or if they might be willing to do a run of cabs?
areibel

Postby Bernd » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:31 pm

How about some good old scratch building using styrene and drawings in the model magazines. You could also use brass and solder.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:14 pm

Bernd wrote:How about some good old scratch building using styrene and drawings in the model magazines. You could also use brass and solder.

Bernd

I am thinking of custom fabbing a cab or two, but for almost 10 engines, that is a tall order.

I know that one will be a Camelback type loco, but other than that, I am not sure what proto to model.
AstroGoat760

Postby Tom Dempsey » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:25 pm

AstroGoat760 wrote:I am thinking of custom fabbing a cab or two, but for almost 10 engines, that is a tall order.

I know that one will be a Camelback type loco, but other than that, I am not sure what proto to model.

Get's easier with practice, and it is the only way to get the model "right"
Tom Dempsey

Postby AstroGoat760 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:18 pm

Tom Dempsey wrote:
AstroGoat760 wrote:I am thinking of custom fabbing a cab or two, but for almost 10 engines, that is a tall order.

Get's easier with practice, and it is the only way to get the model "right"

Good point.
AstroGoat760

Postby Graandpa » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:22 pm

AstroGoat760 wrote:I have made a realization about a number of the HP locos that I have in line on my workbench to restore/overhaul: about half of them have either no cab, or have a damaged cab.

Does anyone know of a source of workable cabs for TT scale North American steam locos?
If you have a.good one why not try casting what you need in resin? MicroMark has everything you need.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Graandpa

Postby AstroGoat760 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:56 pm

Graandpa wrote:
AstroGoat760 wrote:I have made a realization about a number of the HP locos that I have in line on my workbench to restore/overhaul: about half of them have either no cab, or have a damaged cab.

If you have a.good one why not try casting what you need in resin? MicroMark has everything you need.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Good point. I have never tried resin casting before, it is probably time, though.
AstroGoat760

Postby AstroGoat760 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:59 pm

Some of my collection is still boxed up at my father-in-law's place outside of Fargo, ND, but I have somewhere around 15-20 smaller HP steamers at this point, most of which need work of some type. Two of them are 4-4-2s, three of them are x-8-0s, while the balance is 0-6-0s of various states of completion.
AstroGoat760

Return to General Discussion