"Slow motion" train throttle for TT shunting : any idea ?

"Slow motion" train throttle for TT shunting : any idea ?

Postby GuiTTar_Case » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:44 pm

Hello there ! :thumbup:

I'm still on my Inglenook layout project, with DR rolling stock. But, as I'm thinking about play sessions, I'm starting to question me about some kind of model railroading throttle controller which provides "slow motion" loco speed, especially for shunting on micro- and mini-layouts ...

I've already searched, but I only found one controller (for an analogic layout, no DCC) for Z scale (on a specific Z scale train webshop), and with "pulsed width" (does it fits for Tillig TT scale locomotives ? I'm not sure !), or very expensive material (to my budget), I mean, stuff like built-in Gaugemaster controllers and wall slots ...

A Hungarian craftsman (Medvend Electronics) had produced these throttles a few years ago, but it seems that his website (and maybe his company) doesn't exist anymore ...

So, here is my question : do you have any idea where I can find a throttle controller for TT scale, with very slow speed (without locomotive "stalling" ...), but not too expensive (under 70 $) ?

Or, is it possible for an amateur in electronics to cobble a small controller like this, to be powered with 9 volt battery (that would be even cheaper ...) ?

Thanks a lot !

See you soon :wave:

- Antonin "GuiTTar_Case" :geek:
- Antonin "GuiTTar_Case" :mrgreen:
GuiTTar_Case

Re: "Slow motion" train throttle for TT shunting : any idea

Postby krokodil » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:14 am

Hi Antonin

If you have some electronic skills, you can build your own controllers.

https://www.conrad.at/de/pwm-leistungsregler-bausatz-velleman-k8004-9-vdc-12-vdc-24-vdc-35-vdc-65-a-190967.html

Here is one kit, I use 3 of them on my layout, and I am quite happy with them. The circuit has many nice features, you can adjust the frequency and the range and the circuit can be remotelly controlled ( with a simple DC voltage). The only thing what you need extra are the direction switch (DPDT switch) and a potentiometer.
I do not know what type of battery are you talking about, but the standard 9V battery will be not enough for the trains. You should plan some more powerful batteries, like 3S battery cells with about >10 Ah capacity or lead batteries for emergency systems (black boxes) 12V/2-10 Ah. In hobby or model shops there are many different types.
Greetings from Austria
E.T.
krokodil

Postby GuiTTar_Case » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:22 pm

Hello Krokodil !

Well, I must admit that my electronic skills are quite "non-existent" ...

In fact, I was referring to this Z scale train throttle :

It seems to be the best "dead slow" train throttle for Z scale : and as the maximal voltage for Z scale locomotives motors is 9 volts, the only problem which makes me hesitate is the "pulse width modulation" and its compatibility with Tillig TT locomotives motors ... (?)

Maybe someone could tell me if this product will fit for a shunting layout in TT !

http://zscaletrack.com/snail-1

- Antonin :mrgreen:
- Antonin "GuiTTar_Case" :mrgreen:
GuiTTar_Case

Postby krokodil » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:43 pm

GuiTTar_Case wrote:Hello Krokodil !

Well, I must admit that my electronic skills are quite "non-existent" ...

In fact, I was referring to this Z scale train throttle :

It seems to be the best "dead slow" train throttle for Z scale : and as the maximal voltage for Z scale locomotives motors is 9 volts, the only problem which makes me hesitate is the "pulse width modulation" and its compatibility with Tillig TT locomotives motors ... (?)

Maybe someone could tell me if this product will fit for a shunting layout in TT !

http://zscaletrack.com/snail-1

- Antonin :mrgreen:

Hi Anonin

The system could work (PWM is used also in other throttles - even in Medvend unit). By the way his throttle is available from digitools
http://www.digitools.hu/termekek#tabla3 unfortunatelly only in Hungarian.

Anyway the throttle mentioned in my earlier post is also PWM, but has wide adjustment capability, what is needed because in TT models in the last time there is a wide variety of motors, each with very individual characteristic. So to find the best setting you need those small trimmers to adjust the frequency the minimum and the maximum of the pulse size. If you search the Conrad site you will find also a French and English description of the circuit. For the assembly you need just a basic skill with a soldering iron. The kit works very reliable. You can run it also from batteries - but not from the tiny 9 V battery. As a special feature of this PWM throttle it has a voltage controlled input, ie you can control it remotelly (walkaround throttle) and you can also simulate the weight of the train.
The small 9 volt battery will not be enough for TT locomotives, you will need much bigger battery for the operation. The Tillig throttle in some basic sets is also PWM but usually on very high frequency, what has some limitation on different motors.
Greetings from Austria
E.T.
krokodil

Return to Electric / DCC