Siggis 50ft High-Cube

Re: Siggis 50ft High-Cube

Postby MacG » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:43 pm

These are the freely rotating roller bearings. When the axles are engaged, you can install the roller bearings. They are only pressed on the axle ends. I can ask Art & Detail if he has attached the bearings to the axles with glue or something else. I will see him at an exhibition on Saturday. http://www.us-convention-brd.de/indexe.htm
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

Postby RodTT » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:29 am

Ok, thanks, that would be useful.
Actually I've sent Michael a second email because the etch supplied only has two of the side ladders rather than four, and the two supplied are a bit too wide. According to photos they should fit inside the boxcar panel, not straddling it. I'd be interested if he has anything to say about this too, as well as the missing brakewheel gearbox.
P1050591.JPG

P1050592.JPG
RodTT

Postby j p » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:40 am

RodTT wrote:That's got the main parts assembled...now for the tricky bits!
P1050577.JPG

The kit includes very tiny blue axle boxes that fit on the axle ends, which according to photos were fitted to some models. But how to fit them without falling off? It looks like they have to be fitted after the axle has been snapped into place and I don't want to seize the axle up with glue.

The bearing lids can be glued onto the axles before the axles are snapped into place using a C-A glue.
Not too much glue, apply it only onto the ends of the axles. I found it easier to use a toothpick for applying the glue.

- Jan
j p

Postby MacG » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:59 am

I asked Micha. The first part serves to stabilize the sidewalls from the inside (like your picture shows). But that's not for this special 50-foot car. It could be that you did not get the right etched parts for this car. Because it contains only two ladders. The cast brake wheel box is missing in both of us.
He glues seldom the roller bearing boxes onto the axles. But when with a tiny drops C-A.

I think he will write you a message separately. On his layout was one of these cars with the ladder onto the outside braces. Another car hadn't a ladder at the sides only at the ends. Despite color and lettering, it wasn't finished yet.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

Postby RodTT » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:20 pm

Ok, many thanks for that.
I have improvised a brake wheel box from a bit of plastic. Also, luckily I found an etched ladder in a spares box and though it's a bit narrow, it will make up all four side ladders. It's probably more to scale than the two supplied with the kit. Given that the panels on the car sides that the ladders fix onto are possibly a bit narrow anyway, my improvised ladders don't look too bad.
As to the roller bearing boxes, they are so fiddly that I probably won't bother with them.
RodTT

Postby j p » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:31 pm

It worked for me some time ago. (A&D truck is on the right side)

j p

Postby RodTT » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:59 am

That's very neat. I may have another go!
RodTT

Previous

Return to Builders' Corner