Shunting in TT- coupling questions

Shunting in TT- coupling questions

Postby Rich B » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:17 am

Although I've been little more than a lurker on here lately, I've been feeling the call of TT with some strength recently. I've even made the decision that I will not buy any more H0 other than scenic items for my existing layouts. A couple of weeks ago I took my small H0 terminus layout "Bad Horn" to RailEx in Wellington, and this has re-affirmed my love of shunting. I could sort wagons all day without feeling any urge to drive a train beyond yard limits. At present, my only experience of TT couplings are the BTTB style "big round bumpers". My preference in H0 are Roco Universals, which have a delayed action and do not rely on any spring action- they also generally couple up to one another with almost as light a touch as kadees.

So, has anyone got any comments on shunting with Roco or Tillig couplings, and if so, how suited are they to the job? I like a reasonably close coupling, although on wagons I find not-quite buffer-to-buffer coupling advantageous if the track is less than perfectly straight?

Cheers

Rich
Rich B

Re: Shunting in TT- coupling questions

Postby CSD » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:55 am

I have no experience with the Roco couplers yet, but the Tillig ones run reliably (much better than the old BTTB's). They do on occasion have differences in coupler height that can be a problem, so I would recommend a set of the Keuhn couplers. They are essentially the same except that they have a little arm to compensate. They can be uncoupled in the same fashion as the BTTB (with use of a screw driver) or a little magnet can be used to lift the latches. If you plan to retrofit your BTTB fleet they will not close couple unless you install close coupling mechanisms, but there is a way to get them a little closer by cutting a new slot on the retrofit coupler (scroll to the pictures at the bottom to get the gist of it: http://www.trainmania.info/udelatka/27- ... tillig.pdf). I wonder if you could continue to use the HO couplers you like on the TT stuff. All the new stuff has NEM coupler pockets.
15160_1.jpg
Keuhn Coupler
15160_1.jpg (1.78 KiB) Viewed 447 times
Mark
//S
CSD

Re: Shunting in TT- coupling questions

Postby Rich B » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:51 am

I think the Roco universals would look pretty huge on TT models. I haven't got vast quantities of BTTB wagons to convert, so that's not a big worry.

I think maybe my best course of action would be to buy a few couplings and see how they behave. That can wait until after Christmas though- plus by then Muir's layout may be running to put them through their paces!
Rich B

Return to General Discussion