Shrink Mould Castings

Re: Shrink Mould Castings

Postby Rob M » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:31 pm

So if I understand this correctly since TT is 27% smaller than HO that I would need to do two molds to get to TT scale?

Correct. But if you plan to make a lot of copies you may want to make another copy of the final mold as the silicone does seem to lose some of it's strength in the shrinking process.

Don't forget that it will shrink everything including wall thickness. Most modern HO equipment is already made about as thin as possible. In my project I used a Hobbytown E7 shell as they already had thick sides.

And, if you plan to sell them make sure you have permission from the copyright holder. Hobbytown was more than happy to let me do it, others may not.
Rob M

Re: Shrink Mould Castings

Postby Bernd » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:36 pm

Rob M wrote:Correct. But if you plan to make a lot of copies you may want to make another copy of the final mold as the silicone does seem to lose some of it's strength in the shrinking process.

That makes sense. I'm thinking of removing as many details from the HO version as possible. Make a copy. Then use that copy to add detail and then make a master from that casting in a stronger rubber mold.

Don't forget that it will shrink everything including wall thickness. Most modern HO equipment is already made about as thin as possible.

Perhaps add some styrene glued to the inside of the model to make thicker walls. That might work.

And, if you plan to sell them make sure you have permission from the copyright holder. Hobbytown was more than happy to let me do it, others may not.

Nope, don't plan on selling. I'm interested in copying the HO Atlas RS-1 and an Alco FA or PA, maybe both if this works out. I'm an Alco-Haulic. :lol:

Bernd
Bernd

Previous

Return to General Discussion