Show Displays

Show Displays

Postby Bill Dixon » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:48 am

As 2011 draws to a close I would like to know what other TT-Scale displays occurred this year in North America?

Did anybody else have layout at a show?
Did anybody display models in a contest?
Did anybody have any kind of TT-Scale display at a show?

Regards
Bill Dixon
North Vancouver, BC
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Re: Show Displays

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:15 pm

I fear the answers are not what you want to hear.
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby gabbysuz » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:15 pm

Bill Dixon wrote:As 2011 draws to a close I would like to know what other TT-Scale displays occurred this year in North America?

Well not in 2011 but for the future, we are planning on building a 3 x 6 (approx.) North American portable layout to take to
shows up and down the west coast or so in 2013, hoping to maybe have it ready for the next Vancouver - November show. Just depends on how much time we get to work on it here and there. All North American including scenery, structures, rolling stock etc... basic theme so far is a Southern Pacific branchline serving a small industrial town, perhaps with a mine, or maybe a port like Coos Bay in the transition era, should be a fun project, I'll start posting pictures once I get some time to get things going.
gabbysuz

Postby Bill Dixon » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:20 am

ConducTTor wrote:I fear the answers are not what you want to hear.

It appears that you are correct. Did nobody else in North America do anything to promote TT-Scale in 2011?
Is Vancouver really the active center of North American TT-Scale? Scary thought.

So what can we do to stir up the membership for 2012.

What can we do to make 2012 the year TT-Scale comes back into public view in North America?

Bill Dixon
North Vancouver, BC
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby dileTTante » Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:02 am

'Think globally, act locally.'

You can always store photos of your TT models on your cell phone or whatever to show people. I've mentioned being at a train show to friends and neighbours. I've discovered several have an interest in model railroading which I never knew about before. You never know who might begin modeling TT scale. It has an inherent advantage of looking just right.
dileTTante

Postby Arseny » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:15 am

But, on the other hand, it's a good reason to visit Vancouver, if I visit America some day. :)

As for me, I am planning to buid a tiny American layout it a bookshelf. ...But I am not in America... :)
Arseny

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:52 pm

Bill Dixon wrote:What can we do to make 2012 the year TT-Scale comes back into public view in North America?

Models. Personally I'd like to do a small layout and show it but there's never enough time for everything. I think the most impact I could have is to continue working on models.
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby jmass » Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:48 pm

one of the best things you can do is to buy a young kid, son, nephew, niece, any child that might be part of your life a tt scale starter set. to start them on tt scale as opposed to ho or n scale will leave a lasting impression on them. even if they eventaully go to another scale at least they know what tt scale is.especially on this side of the atlantic, where most people never heard of tt scale
jmass

Postby railtwister » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:10 pm

ConducTTor wrote: Personally, I'd like to do a small layout and show it, but there's never enough time for everything. I think the most impact I could have is to continue working on models.

Hey Alex,

If Bill is going to build this layout as a portable display, he could use some hopper cars. Do you think Shapeways would be suitable for doing a batch of outside-braced 2-bay open hopper cars like your gondola, tank car, and PS-2's (not so subtle hint)? Also, he could probably use an FM Baby Trainmaster shell (or two), as well. (VBG)

Wouldn't it be cool to have a TT Virginian layout standing next to the original Kalmbach HO version on display at a train show?

Bill in FL
railtwister

Postby Arseny » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:24 am

If you design open hopper by the Shapeways (suitable for the 1950s era) i'll definitely order some!

I have one hopper, but I need more.
I think it's a good idea to build a coal layout.
Besides all, the hoppers are short enough, so you can build a small layout and use a lot of cars on it.

P.S. There is a "topgon" car available on the Shapeways, but as I know, it is a modern car built by Norfolk Southern in 1990s (am I right?) so it is not suitable for the 1950s.
And the price is high enough...
And also CoducTTor told us that there are some warping problems with this material...

But maybe designer can make open hopper based on this type of model?
Arseny

Return to General Discussion