Shop selling above RRP- my response.

Shop selling above RRP- my response.

Postby Rich B » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:30 am

A well-known UK dealer has started selling Tillig TT. Yay! But then, I saw their prices. I sent them a polite email...

Dear *shop*,

I was very pleased when I was told that you would start selling Tillig TT models, as previously no major UK retailer carried the range, let alone one with a well laid-out web shop such as yours. However, today taking the time to see what was available, any prospect of ordering was quickly wiped out. The prices are ridiculous. The first item I sought, the IC coach 13571, is priced well above RRP, let alone competitively. The RRP is €43.50, your price is £47.50, or €57.64 at today's rate. The difference is so great that even with having to pay €10 postage from my usual German shop of choice and the £1 fee for transferwise, buying a single coach from them is cheaper. By the time a ten coach train has been purchased, there's over £100 difference. I'd really like to support a UK business, but with such a discrepancy in price (and I haven't even looked at locomotives!) it's just not worth it.

I don't know whether the prices are set by your supplier or yourselves, but I would like to pass on the message that if the models can be sold at RRP or lower, I would certainly be inclined to bring business your way. The Hobby Shop in Faversham can sell Roco and Brawa at prices that compete with German shops, so I hope that the possibility is there for yourselves.

Yours faithfully,

Richard Bucknall

I've withheld their name because I'd like to know their opinion before getting annoyed. I can make transfers to German bank accounts for £1, so transaction fees are minimal. The difference in VAT (sales tax) is minimal between Germany and Britain too.

Would my fellow nutters pay such a premium to a dealership in their own country? At the end of the day, it's still mail order, and there's no import duty on items bought from Germany in Britain.
Rich B

Re: Shop selling above RRP- my response.

Postby scaro » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:59 am

Richard,

I've noticed only one retailer in the UK who sells TT at high prices. He does not sell that coach at the price you quote, but pretty high nonetheless. I see his stand at exhibitions. I look and admire, but buy elsewhere ...

I bought a Hercules on the weekend at I suppose five to ten quid above the cheapest German online dealers, but it's nice to be able to test run the loco, and have a bit of a chat, and I consider it worthwhile to support 3SMR.

B.
Last edited by scaro on Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scaro

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:26 pm

Rich B wrote:Would my fellow nutters pay such a premium to a dealership in their own country?

I pay a small premium to support Euro Train Hobby here in the States. I haven't calculated exactly what the premium is though.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the ruling class know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby gerhard_k » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:29 pm

ConducTTor wrote:
Rich B wrote:Would my fellow nutters pay such a premium to a dealership in their own country?

I pay a small premium to support Euro Train Hobby here in the States. I haven't calculated exactly what the premium is though.

Euro Train Hobby sell Auhagen buildings at less than 10% in $$ above their factory price in Euros, i.e., at below RRP when considering the exchange rate. I'm ordering a whole bunch...

Their prices for Tillig track are pretty much =RRP with the exchange rate. I think ETH are well worth supporting.

- Gerhard
Sometimes you win... sometimes you learn.
gerhard_k

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:39 pm

gerhard_k wrote:
ConducTTor wrote:

Euro Train Hobby sell Auhagen buildings at less than 10% in $$ above their factory price in Euros, i.e., at below RRP when considering the exchange rate. I'm ordering a whole bunch...

Their prices for Tillig track are pretty much =RRP with the exchange rate. I think ETH are well worth supporting.

- Gerhard

I've had very good service from Euro Train Hobby. I will continue to shop there.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Return to General Discussion