Shapeways SD45

Shapeways SD45

Postby areibel » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:18 pm

My SD45 came today from Shapeways, here are a few pics.
I haven't cleaned it up yet, but overall it doesn't look too bad. There is some slight layering on the sides that I think will be OK, the end of the long hood worse but I think it will clean up with some primer and sanding. the bigger problem is the warping in the pics. I'm not sure if it's because the sides are long and thin, or if when they packed it at the factory they had it wrapped pretty tight and it squeezed the sides in. Same with the walkway, it's nice and the steps are well done but it needs straightened. 'm going to try warm water and dishwashing liquid (Dawn) first, before I start to soak I'll cut a wood spacer the right thickness so if it softens up a little in the soak I'll try that to spread the sides of the hood out and hope it holds when it cools. I'll use a flat weight to hold down the frame while it's warm, or I may try to get tricky and use the brass frame and walkway from the Norkin etch with the Shapeways body, I'll have to dig that out and see how it fits.

areibel

Re: Shapeways SD45

Postby j p » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:41 pm

Thank you Al. Now I know that I am not the only one having problems with warping of Shapeways models.
How about the others? Do you make resin copies of each Shapeways print or have you found some stabilizing chemical which prevents it from warping?
Some models warp more than others, it might be something to do with the geometry.
j p

Postby Tom Dempsey » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:53 pm

Or it might be that Rapid Prototype Technology isn't meant, by design, to produce permanent products.
Tom Dempsey

Postby MacG » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:33 pm

But a warped model isn't that, what your can show. Rapid Prototype Technology is meant to produce sample or a model of a product. So it is really near to our requirements.

I think, it needs thicker walls or a support structure inside. I have made good experiences with warm air (40-50°C at a convection oven or a device for food dehydration).
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

Postby areibel » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:42 pm

I am wondering if the way they packaged it added to the problem. Usually the Shapeways models I have come in a clear poly bag with the zip lock top. These were in bubble wrap bags, they put the model in the bottom and then rolled it up like a cylinder. And it was pretty tight, it was actually the first thing I thought of when I saw the long hood- the nose and cab aren't affected, just the long unsupported section. The other shells I have bought in FUD don't appear to be much thicker, they didn't collapse in like that but they were packaged differently.
I'll try MacG's suggestion, I hope I can heat it up a little and get it straight and that it holds when it cools down.
areibel

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:05 pm

I've stopped ordering from Shapeways unless it's a rough part done in WSF. Take that as you will......
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Tom Dempsey » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:35 pm

MacG, I base my statement on the fairly short lifespan of 100% of the RP'd models I have purchased. It's simply not an acceptable technology for anything meant to last. If you want to use it for a casting master, that's a different story. Although, I wouldn't recommend Shapeways.
Tom Dempsey

Postby Carsten » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:49 am

Al, write a complaint, attach the photos and usually they will print a new one without any costs for you.
You will see, if they wrapped it to tight (perhaps again) or the walls are to thin.

Carsten
Carsten

Postby MacG » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:19 pm

@Tom: I have several things on the rails. For example the Krauss-Maffei ML-4000. It's printed in April 2013 and it's now still okay. After cleaning and drying the shell, you have to paint it in- and outside. So is the shell sealed. One of my stock cars from 2011, without paint, bends now and some boards of the sidewall are broken.

@ Carsten: It's a good tip. At me has it does not works. I have written with photos did the packing which insufficient. Some ladders was broken by the tight clear poly bag and the parts were inside the poly bag. The answer was: The ladders are too thin and There Is No compensation. Or I order too less from Shapeways for a obliging handling. :wall:
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

Postby areibel » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:19 pm

I sent Shapeways a message through their system and actually got a fast response. I emailed them last night and the email was in my box this morning. I could only send one picture last night (their system only allowed one attachment) so I sent the pic of the bottom of the shell, they asked for pics of the walkway/step section so I sent those too this morning. I was being nice, I just suggested that they pack them differently instead of rolling them up like a tight egg roll, and I mentioned I was going to see if I could straighten it out. The woman that replied wants me to keep her advised of how that works so it sounds like they may consider doing another. I just wonder if I break it trying to straighten it if they'll just say sorry?

The thinnest part of the side (below the doors, without the added thickness of the doors) is about .046/ 1.16mm and if you add the door thickness it's .053 thick. From as best as I can measure the walls of the KM shell are .067 thick, but it has a built in spacer/ motor mount in the middle that helps support it. Guess I'll try to straighten it tonight and see what they say!
areibel

Next

Return to Prototypes / Models