Shapeways quality

Shapeways quality

Postby scaro » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:23 am

Probably enough about this on so many threads, but I'm not sure which one to add it to. I was at a small US themed show and having a conversation with the dad of a guy who's designed some N stuff, DD35B, Baldwin centre-cab, which could be upsized to TT. The N prints of the Baldwin were fantastic.

He commented that their quality has improved over the past year, but more interesting given the differing views on SW here, that the Amsterdam plant produces significantly better quality than the NYC operation. This may account for the varying views and experience of SW product.

Ben
scaro

Re: Shapeways quality

Postby j p » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:21 am

scaro wrote:Probably enough about this on so many threads, but I'm not sure which one to add it to. I was at a small US themed show and having a conversation with the dad of a guy who's designed some N stuff, DD35B, Baldwin centre-cab, which could be upsized to TT. The N prints of the Baldwin were fantastic.

He commented that their quality has improved over the past year, but more interesting given the differing views on SW here, that the Amsterdam plant produces significantly better quality than the NYC operation. This may account for the varying views and experience of SW product.

Ben

Hi Ben
Have you asked about a possibility of modifying the design to TT scale? I mean upsizing + adjustment of the wall thickness. We don't need the walls thicker than necessary.

Jan
j p

Postby scaro » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:09 pm

Not as regards the Baldwin. don't need one. He's apparently doing the A version of the DD35, and I've discussed having this adjusted into a TT GP35.

Ben
scaro

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:02 pm

From the stuff I've gotten lately, quality is terrible.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the ruling class know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby scaro » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:00 am

yep. by way of contrast, my FL9 shell from the dutch end of things, was very good and would need only a light going over with the fibreglass burnisher to be fit for priming. however, it's getting surgery first.
scaro

Postby Richard-B » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:37 am

ConducTTor wrote:quality is terrible.
Hmmm... the two Shapeways TT-scale engine shells I just received were as expected. (i.e. NOT "terrible")

As each material is 3D printed on different technology... which type was not up to expectation?
Last edited by Richard-B on Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between San Francisco and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby scaro » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:03 pm

richard, from what i gleaned (and i have no clue as to the machines) but the product that emerges from the dutch facility printed in FUD seems OK.

the seller, who is father of the designer and evidently involved in production, was saying that stuff printed in holland turned out much better than if you ordered a print of the same thing in FUD and it was done in NYC. maybe the dutch just take more care in checking orientation, that kind of thing. there's a pic of the baldwin on his blog and there's still what looks to be roof corrugation visible but the units shown yesterday had totally smooth roofs.

http://jamestrainparts.wordpress.com/20 ... n-n-scale/

if i were an N scaler and wanted a BLH centre cab i'd be happy with that product. great way to get a distinctive loco. it's designed to run on an Atlas N C628 with reversed trucks.
scaro

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:39 pm

Richard-B wrote:
ConducTTor wrote:quality is terrible.
Hmmm... the two Shapeways TT-scale engine shells I just received were as expected. (i.e. NOT "terrible")

As each material is 3D printed on different technology... which type was not up to expectation?

FUD. Total crap. 2nd shell in a row.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby areibel » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:09 pm

Has anyone ever tried Ponoko? I keep getting emails from them (I inquired about laser cutting some wood projects), but they brag themselves up a bit.
areibel

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:12 pm

Yup. The surface quality is pretty good. BUT! The material with good surface quality has a different issue. It tends to round corners a bit so detail gets blurred.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Discussion