Shapeways FXD?

Shapeways FXD?

Postby areibel » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:23 am

I read a post on another board about Shapeways FXD (Frosted extreme detail) and I wondered if anyone had tried it yet?
Supposedly it is better resolution (with a higher price, of course) but I wondered if it has the same layering issues like the FUD?
It might make it better for casting masters if nothing else.
http://www.shapeways.com/materials/fros ... il-plastic
areibel

Re: Shapeways FXD?

Postby MacG » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:21 pm

Wow, that is a cheap printer. :o I have a look on it. The print volume has the right size. :dance:

I'm impressed of the Asiga Pico Printer, but it cost 8.000€.

FXD I havn't tested yet. It is expensive for the 16 microns layer thickness. I think double price of FUD.
MacG

Postby areibel » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:09 pm

LOL!
That would be me, breaking things that is! When I got it I managed to break a small corner off of the base plate with my usual machete and sledgehammer techniques. That was easy enough to fix, I just cut a couple pieces of .040 and built up the floor.
The real damage came from our beloved feline Zorak. He's a bit of an odd cat. I had glued the floor sections back together and put the whole works on top of the fireplace. He climbed up there and decided it looked good, evidently FUD is tasty to cats. He actually started chewing on it, he managed to break a section out of one side before my wife chased him away. I was able to put a piece of .005 styrene behind it and then got the floor glued in, I just need to do a little bodywork with some filler to eliminate the divot to get the side smooth again.
areibel

Postby areibel » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:21 pm

Here's a forum I joined a while ago (every once and a while they give away a free printer!), there's a lot of good info on there-
http://www.3dprintforums.com/forum.php
areibel

Postby areibel » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:46 pm

I went to a local (well, two hours away!) NMRA meet today, and got to attend a very interesting session on 3D printing. The presenter was a Mr. Dennis Vaccaro and I knew from the start he was good- #1, is first video was of an NZ120 layout and #2 he actually owns some TT!
He went through his experience with home machines (he's on his second), about the various places that will print for you like Shapeways and a few others, but his big push was for a new machine that was a Kickstarter project called the Tiko printer-
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ti ... nav_search
I wasn't close to understanding all the tech he was referring to, but the machine costs $179 for now (for three or four more days) and will probably list for $200-$250. He's not involved with the company, but he's a tech person and he's impressed. I don't think I'll go for one yet until I learn CAD, but what do you guys with 3D experience think?
areibel

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:03 pm

I would have to try it before I have thoughts on it. I won't be trying Shapeways' FXD material. Too much money spent with them with negative results. I'm using iMaterialize now.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Rob M » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:54 pm

A 4 1/2" round build area is a bit small. And 50 micron layers are a little coarse. Still tempting for the price though.

Bernd wrote: Anybody explain what is meant by "browser based" ? Dose it mean you don't download the software to your computer? That would be similar to your computer being a terminal and some computer at the other end of wire, in another country? would be the main frame.

Bernd

Yes, that would mean it is an online application and your files are probably stored on their server.
Rob M

Postby Rob M » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:59 pm

Bernd wrote:Software for design of a part. What is available to the average user, Sketchup, what else is there that doesn't cost big dollars? How complicated of a software package do you need for designing model parts or make a car? Are there any free or cheap 3D programs that put out STL files?

All questions I would want answered before I spend my money.

Bernd

You don't necessarily need a 3d program that outputs to stl. Most will output to .3ds and then you can use another program such as Netfabb to convert it to stl.
Rob M

Postby areibel » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:15 pm

He said 50 Microns was .002, I wasn't sure what the Shapeways stuff was.
And that was one of the other things he covered, exporting as a .stl file. He actually gave us a CD with several free CAD programs (Open SCAD, Sketchup, BRL CAD, FreeCAD, Design Spark) and the export programs Blender and Meshcad. He basically said that the export programs convert it to G code for the export? Like I said, without knowing the basics I was a little lost. I was wishing I could spend more than one hour and pick his brain but the schedule was pretty tight.
Time to put my nose to the grindstone and learn one of them!
areibel

Postby MacG » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:13 pm

Bernd wrote:... I've got Sketchup down loaded and running, just can't get my head wrapped around that program. I also mentioned this here somewhere that Sketchup doesn't like to work with real small numbers, like in the .001". ...

You are right, but you can sketch it in scale 1:1000 for example. Then save it as stl and rescale it with netfabb.

It is right, that 50µm are 0.002" and this is the layer thickness (z-axis). Shapeways FUD has 29µm (0.001") and FXD 16µm (0.0006"), These are UV-curing plastics. You get a smoother finish than melded plastic filament.
Interesting is also the resolution at the y- and x-axis. Some 3D-printer have in z a 50% better resolution, not a good thing.
MacG

Return to Prototypes / Models