Shapeway GP 40

Shapeway GP 40

Postby jmass » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:41 pm

I am thinking of buying the shapeways gp 40. just wondering how that plastic would hold up to a lok@rol gp 38 decoder fitted chassis.
jmass

Re: Shapeway GP 40

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:11 pm

I would stay away from bodies manufactured at Shapeways.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ctxmf74 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:54 am

Unless they've improved their printing process they have a sandpaper texture. I'd order something small using the same material first to see if the finish is smooth enough, a GP40 body would be hard to smooth out if it's as rough as the shapeways cars I've ordered in the past( quite a few years ago so maybe they've improved their process by now?)......DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby MacG » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:07 pm

Here in Europe looks FUD like this. The surface of the Lowboy Trailer deck is smooth.

CIMG5873.JPG
rough, where the support material was

Unfortunately I haven't a picture of the U50 or a good of DDA40X from shapeways. My mistake :(
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

Postby Sventton » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:26 pm

I don't know if there is a great deal of difference scaling it up to TT, but I've had a couple of N scale Baldwin loco bodies in FUD and they seemed fine, once appropriately cleaned up. I did so based upon articles in the press by N modelers using them, so....I can say that in N scale, they seem to come out quite nice and fill niches where no major manufacturer has anything available. Cleaning them is another whole debate.
Sventton

Postby areibel » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:30 pm

I've had very mixed results with Shapeways. The first SD45 was a mess, pics are on here somewhere. When I complained the second one was great, so I ordered a third and it wasn't as nice as #2- the fans weren't fully formed around the top edges and the layering on the sides and nose was more prominent. If you do order one and it's not right, don't be afraid to either email or call, it seems like they must have a "re-work" department that can turn out nice stuff but the standard production is a shot in the dark.
areibel

Postby jmass » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:34 pm

I was more worried about how the plastic would hold up to the heat of the motor and a decoder. i will order it anyway and see how it holds up. being the gp 38 and forty i believe are the same size, it should fit on a lok@rol chassis. If it works, it will be a quick way to get a gp 40 in the fleet.
jmass

Postby MacG » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:59 am

There is enough brass around the motor, which distributed the heat. FUD is temperature stable to 60°C. I see no problem. We had one with the DDA40X, but there wasn't a through brass chassis. The two brass plates has twisted to each other. I think, because of the small radii and not because of the heat of the motors.

You can stabilize the walls with thin plastic sheets (e.g. from Evergreen). The inside of the shell should be wider than the Lok-n-Roll chassis.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

Return to General Discussion