Semi truck with 40' container trailer

Semi truck with 40' container trailer

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:32 pm

Here are some photos of my PSK Modelbouw #847 semi truck with a 40' container trailer.

The container is labeled for P&O shipping, and detaches from the trailer.

The cab on the tractor unit tips forward to expose a model motor and transmission.

Cab detail:
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Re: Semi truck with 40' container trailer

Postby Christtking » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:22 pm

Nice model! I'll put my 2 cents in. Probably you know this already. It's a base generic model that is manufactured (in form of assembly kits) by "some" company then purchased in bulk at very cheap prices by TILLIG, PSK, SCHIRMER, TT CLUB BERLIN etc. These companies later transfer their own design on these trailer, cabs, containers and make a fortune out of them. Tillig's models go up to $30.
I have so many of them I decided to modify some into a shorter cabin at the back end. The version you've posted (extended cab) carries the logo of the company RABA from Hungary that built this type of cabin tractors under licence from M A N, there is the M A N version and R O M A N (the Roumanian version of M A N), built under licence just like the Hungarian one, (former) communist style. The extended cab trailers were used all across Europe for transporting all kind of materials. Because of the long distance travels the drivers had to pull over and take a nap or rest (if only 1 driver was on duty), if 2 were available, 1 would sleep in the bed that is located in the back of the cab and the other will keep on driving, that's why the extended cab version. The short cab version were used mainly in ports (where loading and unloading containers was performed) for transporting them containers, industrial areas or factories where long driving distances were not required. The long cab versions (including their trailers) were also transported on flat beds freight cars (low profile) that belonged to the former "Rollende Landstrasse". The versions from former West Germany (M A N) looked much better (they had spoilers of all kinds, bunch of mirrors, lights of all kinds, different logos (designs and paint schemes all the way across) compare to the poorly maintained vehicles from the former communist countries (much simpler designs on cabs).
Last edited by Christtking on Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Christtking

Postby Richard-B » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:29 pm

Ahhh... "fond" memories:
... of driving south from Budapest to visit family in Táborfalva... on the old two-lane #5 road.
I came around a bend in a narrow reed-lined stretch of the road, and saw down the straightaway a R O M A N coming towards me pulling a trailer at about 50km/h.

Unfortunately... in MY lane was another R O M A N... intent on passing the first by going 51km/h.

Our Suzuki fit nicely into a small gap in the reeds... the trucks continued on...
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between San Francisco and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby Christtking » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:00 pm

Good ol' times! I don't miss them thou, the exaust fumes in Bucharest were terrible.
Speaking of the model, I will try to install 3X windshield wipers (I installed some on my TILLIG BAHN DR diesels BR 110, the problem is that the company who use to manufacture them, discontinued the item or run out of business), drivers, handpaint some lights on, add some licence plates, add the T. I. R. logo, perhaps some curly hoses (from the back of the cabin connected to the trailer). Just some ideas. I will give it a try see if it works.
Christtking

Postby LVG1 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:38 pm

Christtking wrote:I have so many of them I decided to modify some into a shorter cabin at the back end.
The short cab version were used mainly in ports (where loading and unloading containers was performed) for transporting them containers, industrial areas or factories where long driving distances were not required.

Interesting example! I think for this purpose it's rather rare.
There are much more possibilities to use a truck for local traffic. Trucks of this size are especially popular on construction sites. So the short cabin is mainly used for dump trucks and ready-mixed concrete trucks and the like.

Christtking wrote:Because of the long distance travels the drivers had to pull over and take a nap or rest (if only 1 driver was on duty), if 2 were available, 1 would sleep in the bed that is located in the back of the cab and the other will keep on driving, that's why the extended cab version.

Usually, there are two beds above each other in the back of the extended cabin.
"Let's eat, grandpa."
Punctuation marks save lives!
LVG1

Postby j p » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:51 pm

Short cabs were used also for dump trucks or cement mixers.
j p

Postby AstroGoat760 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:33 pm

Christtking wrote:Nice model! I'll put my 2 cents in. Probably you know this already. It's a base generic model that is manufactured (in form of assembly kits) by "some" company then purchased in bulk at very cheap prices by TILLIG, PSK, SCHIRMER, TT CLUB BERLIN etc. These companies later transfer their own design on these trailer, cabs, containers and make a fortune out of them. Tillig's models go up to $30.
I have so many of them I decided to modify some into a shorter cabin at the back end. The version you've posted (extended cab) carries the logo of the company RABA from Hungary that built this type of cabin tractors under licence from M A N, there is the M A N version and R O M A N (the Roumanian version of M A N), built under licence just like the Hungarian one, (former) communist style. The extended cab trailers were used all across Europe for transporting all kind of materials. Because of the long distance travels the drivers had to pull over and take a nap or rest (if only 1 driver was on duty), if 2 were available, 1 would sleep in the bed that is located in the back of the cab and the other will keep on driving, that's why the extended cab version. The short cab version were used mainly in ports (where loading and unloading containers was performed) for transporting them containers, industrial areas or factories where long driving distances were not required. The long cab versions (including their trailers) were also transported on flat beds freight cars (low profile) that belonged to the former "Rollende Landstrasse". The versions from former West Germany (M A N) looked much better (they had spoilers of all kinds, bunch of mirrors, lights of all kinds, different logos (designs and paint schemes all the way across) compare to the poorly maintained vehicles from the former communist countries (much simpler designs on cabs).

Actually, I did not know that. I bought it simply because it looks close enough to NA prototype, that with a little modification, it could pass as a North American truck.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby Christtking » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:02 pm

I know everyone is right, my comments were based on the facts of what I've experienced living in a communist regime back in the 70's & 80's. I'm pretty sure each country used whatever they had available at the time, no matter of the regime. Nice truck by the way! They (M A N) still make them?
Christtking

Postby LVG1 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:36 am

Christtking wrote:They (M A N) still make them?

No. This type is generations back.
MAN modernized their fleet more than on time, meanwhile.
Some characteristic details in design still exist. So you'll unmistakably recognize current MAN trucks from this example. But they are clearly more modern in both design and construction.
"Let's eat, grandpa."
Punctuation marks save lives!
LVG1

Postby Christtking » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:58 pm

DSCF2941.JPG
DSCF2943.JPG
DSCF2946.JPG
DSCF2947.JPG
DSCF2952.JPG
Here are some photos of my modified short cabin version
Christtking