Semi-Scratchbuild 2-6-0

Semi-Scratchbuild 2-6-0

Postby Bernd » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:00 pm

Not wanting to Hi-Jack Astro-Goats thread I thought I'd start one about a possible 2-6-0 scartchbuild locomotive. I'm not starting it now, to many other projects going on at the moment, I'm just contemplating the project and posting some thoughts for now.

Here's the engine I'm going to use the parts from.

Here are the parts from the disassembled engine.

The drivers will be used. Not sure about the pony truck wheels. The driver are about a 54 to 56 inch diameter. About right for a high stepping Mogul. The frame is of no use since it's HO. So a new frame from brass. Haven't checked the boiler for diameter so don't know if I'll use that to start with. May just roll my own. Before you guys get carried away and ask what prototype I'm following. The answer is none. I'll follow steam engine building practices to build the model. I do have some pictures and will use those for reference plus the Ken Kidder Moguls I have in HO. Also an article way back when in Model Railroader showed how to modernize the engine.

This will be a long term project so don't expect any updates coming fast and furious. :o :shock: :wink:

Bernd
Last edited by Bernd on Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bernd

Re: Semi-Scratchbuild 2-6-0

Postby areibel » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:40 pm

Looks like a cool project already!
Are the drivers HO, HOn3 or TT? And it looks like the boiler would work after a cab-ectomy? I've got a similar project so I'll be watching.
areibel

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:09 pm

The drivers look similar to the ones on an odd little 2-6-0 that I have. Could they be related?
late-1800-s-north-american-2-6-0-t1716.html
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby Bernd » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:28 pm

areibel wrote:Looks like a cool project already!
Are the drivers HO, HOn3 or TT? And it looks like the boiler would work after a cab-ectomy? I've got a similar project so I'll be watching.

The drivers are HO and come out at about a 39" dia. driver. In TT scale they would be 54". Just about right for a nice modern Mogul. I'm contemplating the boiler. It scales to a TT dia. of 66¼". I'm going to have to take a torch to the whole assembly and see what falls apart. From what I can see it looks like a thick piece of brass tubing. Might not work for a TT boiler.

My main concern first would be a frame. Again contemplating between a solid piece of brass versus individual frame rails. Going to have to go through some of my old magazines and see if I can find a build article on a 2-6-0 frame. That might take a while.

As I said this is not a priority project. It's not even on the stove yet. :wink:

Bernd
Bernd

Postby Bernd » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:32 pm

AstroGoat760 wrote:The drivers look similar to the ones on an odd little 2-6-0 that I have. Could they be related?
late-1800-s-north-american-2-6-0-t1716.html

They are close, but no cigar. Yours are not spoked. Mine are. Although they look similar in diameter. I think that engine wasn't an HOn3 conversion unless it was scratchbuilt.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby Tom Dempsey » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:50 pm

"Also an article way back when in Model Railroader showed how to modernize the engine."

If that is for the Spartan Cab Bernd, I'd sure like to get a copy. What month and year of MR was it?
Tom Dempsey

Postby Bernd » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:57 pm

Tom Dempsey wrote:"Also an article way back when in Model Railroader showed how to modernize the engine."

If that is for the Spartan Cab Bernd, I'd sure like to get a copy. What month and year of MR was it?

I think that was the one. I'd have to dig through my magazines. It may take a while to got through them.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby Bernd » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:12 pm

Just went through 18 years of MR from 1954 to 1972. Didn't find a thing. I do remember A Spartan Cab article. I'll have to put a post in on the Model Railroader forum I guess.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby Bernd » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:22 pm

Ok, that was fruitful. I asked the question the MR forum and get linked to a data base to search. There were more than one article written. The one I was familiar with is the one in Model Railroader July 1962 by Don Reschenberg and was related to the layout construction series of the Portage Hill & Communipaw Ry. series. The other is in the September 1978 Railroad Model Craftsman by Roy Brakmann called From Spartan to supper-detailed. The engine is an On3 model.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby Tom Dempsey » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:41 pm

Thanks Bernd, I have a virgin HOn3 Mogul on the shelf, still running a couple of years ago when last lubed and exercised. I've been thinking about updating to 1930's era when I detail it, yeah, like I'll ever get that far down the list. If I could find a couple more for reasonable, read not ebay pricing, I might pick them up to use as TT Scale basis. There, that's the TT Scale required content met.
Tom Dempsey

Next

Return to Prototypes / Models