86%
GE B40-8
No votes
GE B40-8W
14%

Total votes : 7

Re: #2?

Postby scaro » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:36 am

railtwister wrote:At this point, availability of ANY American diesel loco in TT would be a great improvement, although my admittedly weird preferences would be for a GE U18b, or an EMD CF7, both of which were used by very few roads, although the CF7's did show up on a number of shortlines in it's later years. The U18b was noticeably shorter than all the other U-boats, a feature I think makes it a good choice for a model railroad layout where just about everything (except the rail size) is radically compressed.

Press on, Alex!

Regards,
Bill

One good (or bad, depending on your point of view) thing about U18Bs is that they mostly used trade-in EMD Blomberg trucks. I doubt they need a separate run -they can be easily hacked from a U30B. I seem to remember an article on bashing one and I believe it's essentially a matter of removing a chunk from the middle - defined by 4 of the high side hood doors - thereby shortening the whole loco by that much. U30B hood doors go: 5 medium - 8 high - 4 medium, a U18B is 5 medium - 4 high - 4 medium. They were a Maine Central and Seaboard Coast Line loco in the US, though Mexican RRs had some too.

Who is making a GP30? Is it something just for the private German group, or more widely avaiable? CP had two, btw. http://www.flickr.com/photos/one42chrisp/229734252/

Ben
scaro

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:21 pm

Poll wiped again :cry:

The original votes from what I remember were:

GE B23-7 ----------- 5
GE B40-8 ----------- 2
GE B40-8W --------- 4

@scaro

The GP30 is something CSD is working on.

@CSD

I'll pick something for the 3rd model (a year from now??) that was also used in Canada. Also, it will be a 6 axle. That's getting too ahead of myself though.....
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby railtwister » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:26 pm

scaro wrote:
One good (or bad, depending on your point of view) thing about U18Bs is that they mostly used trade-in EMD Blomberg trucks. I doubt they need a separate run -they can be easily hacked from a U30B. I seem to remember an article on bashing one and I believe it's essentially a matter of removing a chunk from the middle - defined by 4 of the high side hood doors - thereby shortening the whole loco by that much. U30B hood doors go: 5 medium - 8 high - 4 medium, a U18B is 5 medium - 4 high - 4 medium. They were a Maine Central and Seaboard Coast Line loco in the US, though Mexican RRs had some too.

Who is making a GP30? Is it something just for the private German group, or more widely avaiable? CP had two, btw. http://www.flickr.com/photos/one42chrisp/229734252/

Ben

Hi Ben,

Actually, the U18b's used three different types of trucks; AAR type B, FB2, and the traded in Blombergs. All of Maine Central's 10 units and a significant number of SCL's unit's (68) used Blomberg trade-ins, while the 45 Mexican units and the two Texas Utilities units had AAR type B trucks (probably also trade-ins). The rest used the more modern looking FB2 trucks including 37 SCL units and the single Providence & Worcester unit. This is definitely a locomotive to have if you are a Seaboard fan, SCL had over 100 units and they wore all manner of paint schemes from SCL black, through Family Lines and Seaboard Systems and into several CSX schemes. Most of the different schemes co-existed and still could be seen on CSX (including the MOW "pumpkin" orange) until all of the units were removed from service. With so few prototype roads using this loco I doubt that it would ever be made in TT, and the fact is, I was quite surprised when Intermountain released it in HO scale. The same goes for the HO scale CF7's that Athearn has released. It's just that these are a couple of my favorites, that's all (Hey, I also really like the BL2's, and both FEC and WM had them, along with C&O and B&M).

As far as chopping up an existing shell to make a different version of a locomotive, I'm afraid I'm simply not up for that, myself. All of my chopping efforts to date ( a few cabooses in "N" and "O" scales, an ACF 2 bay centerflow hopper in "O", a stretched AF gondola and a narrowed Kusan "O" gauge flat car rescaled to "S") have been what I would consider to be less than perfect, and probably not worth the effort in the long run. About 20 years ago, I also narrowed four HO MDC Overton passenger cars for use in HOn3 (which probably were the best of the lot), but I never got them to the painting stage (yet). I'm far better at starting new projects than I am at finishing up older ones!

Regards,
Bill in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, USA
railtwister

Previous

Return to Prototypes / Models