Seaboard Air Line boxcar masters in TT

Seaboard Air Line boxcar masters in TT

Postby scaro » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:34 pm

Some of you may find this interesting ... parts designed to be used as masters for casting a TT scale Seaboard Air Line boxcar. 

http://www.shapeways.com/model/2981748/ ... erialId=61

The B-3 was one of the Seaboard's standard boxcars and it and the later B-4 and B-5 were was very similar to the widely used '4C' ARA XM1 design, according to the article in Rail Prototype Cyclopedia # 18 by Pat Wider.

The XM1 was an early attempt at a standardised design from the mid 1920s, and some of these cars were used into the 70s, most famously a group of ex-B&M cars sold to the Wellsville, Addison & Galeton and other shortline roads like the Ft Dodge Des Moines & Southern as part of the 'rolling junk' per diem revolution ... that is shortlines who made money keeping cars in interchange and collecting daily payments for their use in grain and other traffics.

Changes could be made to the end to make a few designs, or by varying the door.

http://www.steamerafreightcars.com/gall ... 5main.html

Some may care to see it as a kit to assemble and run but I prefer to see it as a very handy scratchbuilding aid.

Regards, Ben
scaro

Re: Seaboard Air Line boxcar masters in TT

Postby j p » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:06 pm

Hello Ben

Interesting. Would it be possible to make a version without the ladder? It is a pain to remove those.

- Jan

edit: Grab irons (not ladder), sorry. :grin:
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
j p

Postby scaro » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:24 pm

Jan,

I was worried when you said 'ladders' as the Seaboard B-3 etc had individual side handholds (grab irons) and not ladders, but my guess is it could be done. I'm going to order one first and see if it makes it through Shapeways sometimes randomly cruel processes OK.

Ben
scaro

Postby scaro » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:22 pm

I'm surprised to find that even the SP had two of these cars, though with a wooden braced end.
scaro

Postby Richard-B » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:32 pm

scaro wrote:I'm surprised to find that even the SP had two of these cars, though with a wooden braced end.
SP 15980 and 15981... SP-built 9/1925
-Exactly- two cars... compared to about 5000 subsequent B-50-15 and -16 cars...
which had steel ends and were 6-inches taller: 9ft-1 instead of 8ft-7...

But Hey; ANY prototype is better than NO prototype!!!
---------------------------------------------------------
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between Shenzhen and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby scaro » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:31 pm

I doubt anyone much would even be aware that there were only two. They'd sure look nice in SP paint ... in fact they did, Pat Wider's article in RPCYC # 18 has a couple of shots now I look at it.

For those who don't know these cars, the ARA went for this design for the more conservative railroads, ie those who weren't so cutting edge as to be wanting to take the plunge into all-steel cars. While the Howe Truss designs which we've already looked at on this forum (they had similarities to Fowlers) were more popular, as there were concerns with the Pratt Truss design permitting moisture to run to the door area, leading to rust problems, there were significant XM1 owners among what I might call 'B-list' Class 1s of the late 1920s.

The biggest owner was the L&N with 3100 cars. They had very simple lettering. L&N rebuilt huge numbers into their equivalent of a 1937 AAR boxcar, adding height to the ends and creating a 3-7-8 Murphy end or a 2-3-5 Dreadnaught. Otherwise the rebuilds got new steel sides and roofs, so the resultant car is like the Gold Coast car.

Other big XM1 owners, both of whom had them in service in fairly original condition in vast numbers into the 1960s, were B&M and Rock Island. Rock had 588 in service even in 1961. BAR, CGW and the M&StL were other owners. Ends, doors and roofs varied ... a lot!

As for 'A-list' Class 1s, as above, only the SP had a sniff before deciding to do their own thing- though to a similar design.

It was common for these cars to be rebuilt with steel sides and more modern roofs by the 1950s. Apart from the L&N, this was the fate of most of the Seaboard cars and many of those owned by the 'Y'all Lines', that is the Georgia/West Point Route.
scaro

Postby scaro » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:53 am

j p wrote:Hello Ben

Interesting. Would it be possible to make a version without the ladder? It is a pain to remove those.

- Jan

Dave at Yuma Car & Foundry has talked about whether or not the car should have grab irons so I get a sense he'd be amenable to removing them.
scaro

Postby scaro » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:55 am

j p wrote:Hello Ben

- Jan

Dave at Yuma Car & Foundry has talked about whether or not the car should have grab irons, so I get a sense he'd be amenable to removing them. He's also done some Vulcan ends for a W&LE single sheathed car in TT.

http://www.shapeways.com/model/3012583/ ... ds-tt.html

Ben
scaro

Postby j p » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:31 am

Good.
Grab irons made of wire look much better.
j p

Postby scaro » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:55 am

On SW you can leave comments on the product page so mention it if you like...he's keen on getting feedback.
scaro

Next

Return to Prototypes / Models