SDP40F project

SDP40F project

Postby WillYart » Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:46 pm

Hi everybody, I've had the SDP40F on my mind lately because Amtrak used it, and we have no US passenger stock in TT (that I know of anyway). Although I've been quiet on this board I've been lurking, enjoying seeing what you all are up to. Yesterday we ran the TT train for Thanksgiving guests!

Anyway, regarding this locomotive the additional advantage is that it was used by freight lines through 2001, according to Wikipedia.

So it's very versatile, could be used for passenger or fright.

Thinking of drafting this prototype in CAD for:

Phase I - Use in a computer game and eventually

Phase II - Once it's sufficiently refined, creating a physical TT scale model (Phase II of the project).

Doing something like this for me could easily become a lifetime project; already such projects are time consuming; in my case further slowed down because I'm new to all the techniques and skills needed: being proficient at Blender (my CAD/CAM program), molding with resin, etc.

EDIT: Meant to say, I'm looking for feedback on the feasibility of the project and whether this is an appealing direction (or not). Particularly, does anyone have pictures and dimensions of the prototype? Whatever I do, I want to get the nose right, I want a faithful representation of the prototype for these purposes.
WillYart
 
Posts: 204
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:42 am

Re: SDP40F project

Postby Bernd » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:22 pm

Personally I'd like to see an EMD E A&B unit for a passenger train.

Bernd
Image
User avatar
Bernd
 
Posts: 833
Images: 27
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:43 am
Location: Rochester, New York

Re: SDP40F project

Postby areibel » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:11 pm

I can't remember without digging out some magazines, but aren't they pretty close to the FP45's? If they're the same (or the CAD can be modified a bit) that might give you a couple more options? Or shorten it up a bit and do an F45 too?
areibel
 
Posts: 1688
Images: 7
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:12 am
Location: Cambridge Springs PA

Re: SDP40F project

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:12 pm

I would be interested in a SDP40F, especially if cars that match it could be made.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
User avatar
AstroGoat760
 
Posts: 3462
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:07 pm
Location: Minnesota, USA

Re: SDP40F project

Postby WillYart » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:51 am

areibel wrote:I can't remember without digging out some magazines, but aren't they pretty close to the FP45's? If they're the same (or the CAD can be modified a bit) that might give you a couple more options? Or shorten it up a bit and do an F45 too?


From examining 2 photos of the right side of each locomotive, it appears as though there is a rear access door on the FP45 situated over the wheel truck; a similar door is further forward on the SDP40F.

Amtrak's model, the SDP40F had some cylinders in the motor deleted and used the extra space for additional water storage. Maybe that explains the different configuration.

But you're right, I can see no differences in the shape of the cowl, it looks the same aside from one or two minor modifications.
WillYart
 
Posts: 204
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:42 am

Re: SDP40F project

Postby WillYart » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:59 am

Bernd wrote:Personally I'd like to see an EMD E A&B unit for a passenger train.

Bernd


I believe the EMD E8 looks really good with passenger cars and always enjoyed my H0 model ages ago. Do you know when the last one was retired from freight service? It's not obvious from my perusals.
WillYart
 
Posts: 204
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:42 am

Re: SDP40F project

Postby WillYart » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:01 am

AstroGoat760 wrote:I would be interested in a SDP40F, especially if cars that match it could be made.


We do need passenger cars. Since it hauled freight as well, if you have any freight cars from the period in question they would go with it.
WillYart
 
Posts: 204
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:42 am

Re: SDP40F project

Postby Bernd » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:20 am

WillYart wrote:I believe the EMD E8 looks really good with passenger cars and always enjoyed my H0 model ages ago. Do you know when the last one was retired from freight service? It's not obvious from my perusals.


Have no idea when they were retired. I've never followed any of the info in rail fanning or model railroading as it's unimportant to me.

Bernd
Image
User avatar
Bernd
 
Posts: 833
Images: 27
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:43 am
Location: Rochester, New York

Re: SDP40F project

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:26 pm

WillYart wrote:
Bernd wrote:Personally I'd like to see an EMD E A&B unit for a passenger train.

Bernd


I believe the EMD E8 looks really good with passenger cars and always enjoyed my H0 model ages ago. Do you know when the last one was retired from freight service? It's not obvious from my perusals.


Guys, this topic is for SDP40F. If you want to discuss a different prototype, start a new one pls.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
User avatar
ConducTTor
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8293
Images: 13
Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 4:52 pm
Location: Atlanta GA USA

Re: SDP40F project

Postby dileTTante » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:38 pm

WillYart wrote:I'm looking for feedback on the feasibility of the project and whether this is an appealing direction (or not).
It does not appeal to me. And according to wikipedia it didn't appeal to Amtrak either, and they replaced it with the F40PH. There are a number of freight locomotives in the works for TT scale, hopefully, so the option of SDP40F for freight doesn't outweigh the need for a good passenger locomotive in TT. I rode the Empire Builder frequently and now ride VIA. For sentimental reasons alone I would buy the F40PH in TT if it were available, but not the SDP40F. Then I could make a train for Amtrak and/or VIA. This isn't an expert opinion, of course.
-Terry C
dileTTante
 
Posts: 687
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:37 am

Next

Return to Prototypes / Models

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests