SDP40F project

Re: SDP40F project

Postby sd80mac » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:41 pm

At this point, TT-scale is so wide open that almost any locomotive would better than nothing. In the case of this particular locomotive, having cars available to haul behind it would better justify it's existence. That said, I do think that an F40PH would sell a bit better, but you still need something to pull behind it. Releasing the ATSF variant would drum up some interest, but not everyone models the Santa Fe.

Donnell
sd80mac

Postby ctxmf74 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:30 am

"At this point, TT-scale is so wide open that almost any locomotive would better than nothing."

Certainly true but something more mainstream would be better. The Sazmodel switcher was a great example of widely used prototype produced as a very nice model for a reasonable price. A GP9 and an SD40-2 would be the logical next models for someone to produce, they were both the most numerous sold locomotives of their eras and lasted a long time in active service so can appeal to more modelers. The big problem for TT manufacturers is staying solvent til enough product gets on the market to make more modelers jump over to this scale.The other scales are not more popular due to their size, they are more popular due to their product availability.....DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby WillYart » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:00 pm

Nice to hear from some of you.

Amtrak cars! Maybe those should be the priority. Have road the Zephyr and east coast Amtrack, and the commuter line from DC to Frederick.

Staying solvent? I view this as a hobby not a money making business. Hopefully other projects can justify all that equipment needed.
WillYart

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:26 pm

WillYart wrote:Staying solvent?

That went out the window a long time ago for me :lol:
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby WillYart » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:49 pm

ConducTTor wrote:
WillYart wrote:Staying solvent?

That went out the window a long time ago for me :lol:

Oh well!
WillYart

Postby Jes_leyva » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:10 pm

maybe this picture can help you to make the design of the SDP40f on blender :think:

176-9201 (1).jpg
Jes_leyva

Postby modorney » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:42 pm

I think a good business (organizational) model is the narrow gauge convention and community. Their convention includes tours, clinics and vendors, which are often the same people. The narrow gauge world is not a bunch of vendors on one side and a bunch of modelers on the other - they are all the same people. Although I don't think we have the same numbers (1300 attendees), TT could encourage this on a smaller scale.
modorney

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:38 pm

The problem is we are all so far apart. The only place that has (some) critical mass is a corner of Canada and those guys are already at every show spreading the gospel. The rest of us have to do what we can on our own which unfortunately is not much. Articles in magazines is probably the most impact we can make. Unfortunately there don't seem to be too many writers (myself included) in our midst.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Bernd » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:04 pm

ConducTTor wrote: Articles in magazines is probably the most impact we can make. Unfortunately there don't seem to be too many writers (myself included) in our midst.

I had a start on a project over a year ago that I scrapped do to a better idea I wanted to try. Then a couple of projects got me side tracked. I'm just finishing up one of the projects now. I hope to restart my TT scale portable layout this winter. Link to my thread: http://www.ttnut.com/otter-creek-falls-coal-lumber-rwy-t2600.html

I had planned on doing an article on this build. Hopefully on the next one.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby Jes_leyva » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:31 pm

I made the 3d model last week it just need refine some details, seems a big model with 72' 4'' acording to wikipedia :smile:
13sdp40f.jpg

15sdp40f.jpg
Jes_leyva

PreviousNext

Return to Prototypes / Models