sd40

sd40

Postby jmass » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:18 am

has anyone who is also a member of ttims heard of any progress that a chap name brian is having with a scratchbuilt sd40. he had posted some pictures a month or so ago but there hasnt been anything since. i wont ask because the one time i did post something tyere i was admonished for some slight of protocall.
jmass

Re: sd40

Postby 1 tt guy » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:58 pm

I know exactly what you're talking about. I've wanted to find pics of that SD40 and post them here but I can't seem to find the places where I've seen them.
1 tt guy

Postby jmass » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:05 pm

yea ttguy ,the pictures looked really good. but i cant seem to find them either.
jmass

Postby ConnRiver » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:41 am

HI guys,

The SD40 project at TT_IMS is mine. I haven't posted updates recently for two reasons:

a) I'm not sure if it's wise commercially to upload drawings, I'm going to ask others with experience in the marketplace for their opinions.

b) I've been buried up to my eyebrows in other projects (S and HO scales) and must finish several before I return in earnest to the SD40. I do, though, have 2D CAD drawings I've created of the SD40 Cab, Sub-base, Walkway, and other shell parts features. I haven't created these parts yet in 3D (like I did with the underframe found at the TT_IMS site), which I do to make sure all fits together as it should (the 3D program treats objects as solids and informs you if parts fit together without interference).

I'm a modeler, too, who is committed to TT scale . . . I'm in love with that scale size, it seems perfect to me. My objective with the SD40 is to create a locomotive from the ground up, not collect parts from a number of manufacturers. I have spent much time studying gear trains, I'm working with a major name in the model railroad industry to create a power system suitable for TT scale. Bottom line: Create a power chassis setup that can be modified to fit under six axle and four axle road power. It will have plug 'n' play DCC capability.

My chief modeling interest is piggyback/intermodal, and transition era and 2nd Gen power. But, I have it in mind to create the most common interchange freight cars of the era; afterall, someone's gotta do it if we're going to model North American prototype in 1:120 scale.

My Canadian friend and business associate is an experienced resin pressure caster. He has a new laser cutting unit on hand, and he has new spin-casting equipment that can be employed for resin and metal work. I do 2D and 3D drafting work (and double-sided photo-etching artwork) from which I create G-code to operate CNC mill and lathe. Also, 3D software gives me the option of 3D printing, if required to reach a goal.

Just a brief introduction. Glad to meet you all.

Brian

Brian Chapman
Evansdale, Iowa
Brian Chapman
Cedar Rapids, Iowa / USA
ConnRiver

Postby jmass » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:33 pm

welcome aboard brian,thanks for the info on the sd40.
jmass

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:54 pm

Welcome aboard Brian! Things like this are very good to see. Even slow progress is progress and that's exactly what US TT needs :clap:
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the ruling class know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ConnRiver » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:32 am

jmass, ConducTTor, thanks much for your welcome.

jmass, perhaps you meant the SD40-2 project at TT_IMS rather than the SD40 project? The SD40-2 3D drawings were the creation of a German fellow. His drawings are drop dead gorgeous. My goal is to match his effort in model form . . . time will tell the story!

-Brian
Brian Chapman
Cedar Rapids, Iowa / USA
ConnRiver

Postby scaro » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:53 am

I think this is Carsten Bauer and the group which built the Iris Creek Valley model railway in Germany.

They have done various moulds like chop-nose GPs and I believe in the past they also did masters or etches for a GP38 and some kind of E unit. I think the Tillig (?) Fs and chopnose geeps and some boxcars and other stock are offered for sale, but take a stiff drink before converting the price from Euro to $US . . . the stuff is not cheap.

Ben
scaro

Postby jmass » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:10 pm

you better take two stiff drinks and chase em down with a beer. good luck on the sd40 brian as i think thats one of most kick--- locos out there. dcc an ground up make it even better.
jmass

Postby Zs12 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:29 pm

If there should be someone still interested: http://www.artanddetail.de/.
Zs12

Next

Return to General Discussion