Scratch Southern Pacific C30 Caboose

Re: Scratch Southern Pacific C30 Caboose

Postby Arseny » Mon May 26, 2014 10:11 am

Please reserve one for me too :)
Arseny

Postby sacto-tt » Tue May 27, 2014 12:31 pm

Glad to see such an iconic model being made available. The NorthWestern Pacific (an SP subsidiary) had a number of these cabooses and since that is my favorite railway, I'll be picking up some as well. One request - the NWP blanked out one of the windows on the left side because it was covered with lockers inside the caboose. Any possibility of getting one of the sides with 3 windows? I can live without it, but that would be a nice prototypical touch.

Here is a picture showing the side with the blanked window:
http://www.snowcrest.net/photobob/nwpc6.html
-Joe-
sacto-tt

Postby Richard-B » Tue May 27, 2014 2:07 pm

sacto-tt wrote:<snip>The NorthWestern Pacific (an SP subsidiary) had a number of these cabooses

...and another photo of NWP 37.
NWP-37 C-30-1_.jpg
NWP-37 color
---------------------------------------------------------
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between Shenzhen and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby Shipsure » Tue May 27, 2014 3:20 pm

Sure, no problem, just let me know when I'm ready to take orders.

Joe

sacto-tt wrote:Glad to see such an iconic model being made available. The NorthWestern Pacific (an SP subsidiary) had a number of these cabooses and since that is my favorite railway, I'll be picking up some as well. One request - the NWP blanked out one of the windows on the left side because it was covered with lockers inside the caboose. Any possibility of getting one of the sides with 3 windows? I can live without it, but that would be a nice prototypical touch.

Shipsure

Postby scaro » Tue May 27, 2014 7:03 pm

one of my favourite little RRs, the Tex-Mex, had something like these cabooses, though modified a bit. i'd better put my hand up for one too.

http://s61.photobucket.com/user/fjlpfad ... f.jpg.html
scaro

Postby gerhard_k » Thu May 29, 2014 9:09 am

sacto-tt wrote:Glad to see such an iconic model being made available. The NorthWestern Pacific (an SP subsidiary) had a number of these cabooses and since that is my favorite railway, I'll be picking up some as well. One request - the NWP blanked out one of the windows on the left side because it was covered with lockers inside the caboose. Any possibility of getting one of the sides with 3 windows? I can live without it, but that would be a nice prototypical touch.

I'm surprised you didn't notice that both of Joe's cupolas are the narrow types, inset from the sides; the NWP has one of the (later?) full-width cupolas. Are you going to ask him to make one of those also? Pretty soon, Joe will have a complete spec-your-caboose-and-I'll-build-it enterprise! :thumbup:
Sometimes you win... sometimes you learn.
gerhard_k

Postby sacto-tt » Thu May 29, 2014 12:51 pm

I'm pretty sure that all the C-30-1 were originally built with the slanted cupola - have to check Tony's book for sure - the straight-sided and full-width ones were rebuilds/refurbs so any cupola style is probably correct depending on the caboose and year.

The reason I only asked for the window change was that it was unique to the NWP and much simpler than redoing the entire roof and cupola. Hard to ask a guy that is doing everyone a huge favor to do a major redesign just for me. Besides, I was willing to have the extra window present if it was too much of a problem to remove it. I'm not much of a rivet counter.
-Joe-
sacto-tt

Postby Shipsure » Thu May 29, 2014 1:25 pm

The way I designed the kit, I can take the straight side copula and stretch it out and adjust windows on that and the side of the car in a few minutes. :lol: I have the Decals for it too.

Cheers

Joe
Shipsure

Postby sacto-tt » Thu May 29, 2014 5:09 pm

At the risk of being greedy... I'll take anything I can get. I'd be happy to have you make the changes for the full-width cupola as well as the blanked window. Care to build, paint and decal it for me too? :mrgreen:

Seriously, many thanks for the effort. I think I will be a frequent customer...
-Joe-
sacto-tt

Postby gerhard_k » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:32 am

Shipsure wrote:The way I designed the kit, I can take the straight side copula and stretch it out and adjust windows on that and the side of the car in a few minutes. :lol: I have the Decals for it too.

Cheers

Joe

Hello, Joe -
We haven't heard from you in a month - I know how life can get in the way of hobby, but I was really looking forward to getting several of these models. Any updates?
Sometimes you win... sometimes you learn.
gerhard_k

PreviousNext

Return to Prototypes / Models