Scratch Southern Pacific C30 Caboose

Re: Scratch Southern Pacific C30 Caboose

Postby MacG » Thu May 22, 2014 3:49 pm

It is a nice model and it fits to my Krauss-Maffei ML-4000. A new loco and an old caboose.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

Postby ConducTTor » Thu May 22, 2014 4:30 pm

I'll take 3 thank you.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Shipsure » Thu May 22, 2014 4:52 pm

Here is the more standard Slant Copula that will included with the straight on. Generally the straight side would have been a caboose commandeered from Cotton Belt or Rock Island and makes for a good stand in for a number of other cabeese. This slant copula is a signature piece for the Southern Pacific.

Again, the roof railing is too fussy to do out of brass so I rastered it out of laser board. Needs some adjustment, but we are getting close. The sun shades are attached to two holes in the side by prongs on the shades.
Shipsure

Postby lv4142003 » Thu May 22, 2014 6:37 pm

Are the bulk head flats available?
lv4142003

Postby Shipsure » Thu May 22, 2014 7:42 pm

Image Another milestone. Worked out the end railing with the ladder. The hoop rail at the top will plug into slots on the final configuration so you can more easily line up them up with the rail below. Tonight, tool box, underframe (making assumptions for Bolster heights)...other minor details and then re-cut and build the final sample. I also made the main platform wider and have cut blanking plates for the insides of the steps to close them off. I thought about molding and casting this area, but with shrink and clean up...not sure it would gain the modeler much. This way, everything is keyed with slots. I will also put up a demo on cold rolling the roof pieces. These are also slotted to fit on the mating surfaces and if you roll them they will fit like an injection molded kit....promise :wtf:

Joe
Shipsure

Postby Marquette » Thu May 22, 2014 11:20 pm

Very exciting!
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby Shipsure » Fri May 23, 2014 6:25 pm

So, pretty much have the final version, minus a few nits and bits that need minor adjusting. Decals are drawn and will print those tonight. Looks like the 2004 body mount MTL coupler will be best for this one...the last photo the wood looks rough but I think it's just optics or something.

Joe
Shipsure

Postby Shipsure » Mon May 26, 2014 12:13 am

Image So I drew up and printed the decals on my Alps today and have started applying. They will need extra decal solvent to snuggle down on wood...I'd suggest Solvaset or your own brew of Acetone, water and a touch of dish soap or Photoflo wetting solution (Industrial grade of decal solvent we used to use on production printing). I also spent a few hours today adjusting the drawings to work with the metal side version of the SP caboose, I think decaling those will be less labor intensive. Windows in the Copula and a few more shots of clear and I can call this one done :dance:

Looks like I will have the GC Boxcar kit by Tuesday and at that time I can measure bolster heights so I can adjust the underframe to fit those trucks and a body mount coupler. Once this gets to be a kit I'll have bending jigs for wire if you want to use that instead of the laser cut parts. At the moment I am thinking about only offering 25 units and those will be numbered on the instructions. I should have the instructions wrapped up by mid week and will post parts diagrams as well.

Cheers

Joe
Shipsure

Postby Marquette » Mon May 26, 2014 1:02 am

I'll be up for two.
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby richardedmonds » Mon May 26, 2014 7:28 am

Well nothing like Norfolk and Western used but they look so good I better get two anyway
richardedmonds

PreviousNext

Return to Prototypes / Models