Scale Rails SP 0-6-0 redetailing

Scale Rails SP 0-6-0 redetailing

Postby TTTerrific » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:10 pm

I have two brass Scale Rails TT scale SP prototype 0-6-0 switch engines I intend to upgrade with brass (Christoph?) detail parts. If I go to the trouble to redetail, I'm wondering: should I also consider repowering these locos with more contemporary (efficient, powerful?) motors and drives.

Any thoughts from TT Nut'dom on what to do and what needed to achieve this end? :thinking:
TTTerrific

Re: Scale Rails SP 0-6-0 redetailing

Postby Richard-B » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:52 pm

TTTerrific wrote:I have two brass Scale Rails TT scale SP prototype 0-6-0 switch engines I intend to upgrade with brass (Christoph?) detail parts.
As the 'most available' all-brass TT-scale engines...
the several of these I have are a mainstay of my steam-era Espee plans.
If I go to the trouble to re-detail, I'm wondering: should I also consider repowering these locos with more contemporary (efficient, powerful?) motors and drives. Any thoughts from TT Nut'dom on what to do and what needed to achieve this end? :thinking:
The obvious deficiencies are the open gear-train and the motor, along with DCC.
  • The axles are a nominal 3/32in ~ 2.4mm... so an appropriate NWSL* gearbox, e.g. 146-6, 147-6, or perhaps optimally 170-6 would be a start.
  • A 12mm double-ended can motor with a flywheel on the back (non-gear) shaft could be fit...
  • A NEM-651 decoder could be fixed to the cab roof using double-sided tape.
Essentially all of the re-motoring tips used in HOn3 are applicable here as well...

* Note that NWSL has announced they are going out of business!
NWSL_4-8 Gearbox.pdf
NWSL Catalog page 4-8
(78.66 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between San Francisco and Budapest...
Richard-B

Return to Prototypes / Models