Holes
38%
No Holes
63%

Total votes : 8

Re: SazModel Wooden Tie Strips

Postby areibel » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:05 pm

Hi JP,
I wasn't referring to the Filigran pieces, I was thinking about what Marquette said about spiking the outside on the Saz version.
Maybe the spikes on the outside along with the glue would hold it and allow the use of bigger flanges?
areibel

Postby j p » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:39 pm

areibel wrote:Hi JP,
I wasn't referring to the Filigran pieces, I was thinking about what Marquette said about spiking the outside on the Saz version.
Maybe the spikes on the outside along with the glue would hold it and allow the use of bigger flanges?

I was also thinking about the SAZ version. Finer spikes can be on both sides. Filigran's picture should make it more clear because the inner side looks somehow like a spike.
I am not sure if the glue would be enough to hold it and keep the correct gauge. We don't want to repeat HP Products' problems with the track...
j p

Postby richardedmonds » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:03 am

Nice one Bernd,an interesting trial, looking at your result I think I will look into PCB soldered ties with wood ties filling up the spaces. Anybody know if anybody does TT size cut pcb ties.
richardedmonds

Postby Marquette » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:41 am

That is exactly the property of Pliobond I was getting at in my other comment, that it doesn't become "hard", grips very well yet has a little bit of "give", too. I believe Goodyear formulated it originally.
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby Tom Dempsey » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:04 pm

Clover House has been shearing PC Tie strips since 1975. I put TT Scale PC ties on the online catalog under part number TT101 some time back.
Tom Dempsey

Postby railtwister » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:47 pm

Bernd wrote:I did a little test piece with Code55 rail and I believe they are Micro Engineering spikes. I'm not sure since I've had them for a very long time. The picture shows the Taskboard tie strip, a set of Gold Coast trucks, some spikes and a drill bit with an #80 drill. I had to drill holes to help get the spikes in through the Taskboard plus through the glue and into the homosote. The wheel flanges just touch some of the spikes. They are not consistent in head height. I've come to the conclusion that I will be using Pliobond glue and PC ties on curved rail. On straight I just use the Pliobond. Personal opinion only your mileage may vary.

Bernd

Hi Bernd,

The proportions of the spikes in your photo do not look to me like the smallest Micro Engineering spikes, which are called "micro" (sku #255-30108) and are 3/16" long with very flat heads formed in the stamping process. Looking down on the heads from above, they flare out and look almost round, rather than looking bent over like the heads of the larger sizes. They are very small compared to the "small" spikes which are 1/4" long. The medium ME spikes are 3/8" long, so if you can measure the ones you have on hand, you can get some idea of which ones they actually are. Walthers' website shows the "micros" as being in stock.

Bill in FtL
railtwister

Postby richardedmonds » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:21 pm

Tom Dempsey wrote:Clover House has been shearing PC Tie strips since 1975. I put TT Scale PC ties on the online catalog under part number TT101 some time back.

Thanks Tom will check them out
richardedmonds

Postby railtwister » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:24 am

Bernd wrote:
I think what happened here is I got two batches of different spikes mixed together from the looks of it. I remember getting some spikes from Micro Engineering. Guess I'll save then for the HO stuff and go with glue and pc ties for TT.

Bernd

That's very easy to do, I have a pill bottle full of spikes that has a couple of different sizes/brands in it, myself. When using code 40 rail, there is little choice but to either glue it down, or solder it using PC board ties. However, many HO/HOn3 modelers regularly use code 55 rail with the ME "micro" spikes, and seem to have no problems. If your flanges are just touching your present spike's heads, switching to the "micros" should fix you problem.

Something to consider when you decide gluing or soldering it down is too much of a PITA...

Bill in FtL
railtwister

Postby richardedmonds » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:07 am

LOL yes Bill you are right but track has too look as good as possible. Funny thing really as I am more of a fiddler than a true modeller in as much as I will fiddle around with something untill I get bored. But slowly I am coming round more to Ben and Marquettes scale correct way of thinking. Like everybody I know we have to compromise but the visual difference in 3mm TT with 14.2 correct track has swayed me into thinking try to better oneself all the time.
I have seen some really good models somewhat ruined by looking as if they were running on girders and not rails
richardedmonds

Previous

Return to Prototypes / Models