SazModel - Closed

Re: SazModel - What's New!

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:03 pm

Not to be an a$s but why would you want the GC (Tillig) wheels instead of the FVM ones?
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby gerhard_k » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:14 pm

ConducTTor wrote:Not to be an a$s but why would you want the GC (Tillig) wheels instead of the FVM ones?

I had thought that maybe the Fox Valley "fine scale" wheels might be too fussy for some existing TT track, similar to using Proto87 in HO.
So I decided to look at the numbers: NMRA Standard 4.2 Wheels says TT wheel width (incl. flange) is 0.079 inch, which happens to scale equal to HO's 0.110, and the Fox Valley wheels are 0.072, just 10% under the "wide" standard. HP's Code 88 "semi-scale" wheels would scale to 0.064 in TT - that makes the FV wheels quite a bit less "radical" than Code 88 wheels in HO. So it was easy to convince myself that the Fox Valley wheels should really be quite generally usable in TT.
In addition, I measured the wheel width of one of my GC boxcars at 0.094, which sounds really wide compared to the NMRA Std of 0.079, although they don't really look all that bad... But maybe we need a track-level comparison photo to convince us.
An additional bit of info: NMRA Std 4.1 "Fine Scale" Wheels says: wheel width for TT 0.071" (basically the same as FV), HO 0.086, so it looks like they backed off a bit on TT compared to HO.
In summary: Alex, you're right - there's no good reason to want the GC wheels instead of the Fox Valley ones.

But now it does make me wonder whether the skinny wheels will leave too large a gap between the truck sideframes, and maybe the truck bolster should be trimmed in width, but that would require a new shorter axle length than the "standard" 18.5mm - hoo boy, and he-e-ere we go.... :naughty:

Slinking into the bushes with tail between legs - Gerhard
Sometimes you win... sometimes you learn.
gerhard_k

Postby Tom Dempsey » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:30 pm

Gerhard, When I was in P:87, the common way to resolve the "gaposis" was to cut a small piece of tubing to bush between the wheel and the back face of the truck side frame. By the way, this makes the truck side frame actually look more like a real one.
Tom Dempsey

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:06 pm

Gerhard, I tested the FVM wheels on Tillig and Kuhn track and switches and they ran without problems. Tillig is far from fine scale.....
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby j p » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:54 am

ConducTTor wrote:Gerhard, I tested the FVM wheels on Tillig and Kuhn track and switches and they ran without problems. Tillig is far from fine scale.....

It depends also on the quality of "MOW". If you have many large bumps on the track on your layout or too sharp changes of the grade, you may need large flanges.
j p

Postby CSD » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:14 am

gerhard_k wrote:... I had thought that maybe the Fox Valley "fine scale" wheels might be too fussy...

Tom Dempsey wrote:... the common way to resolve the "gaposis" was to cut a small piece of tubing to bush between the wheel and the back face of the truck side frame...

I found that the Fox Valley wheels work as is in the GC trucks. Richard B came up with another solution to enhance the appearance and performance in this topic: tt-scale-wheelsets-are-here-t2277-40.html?hilit=fox%20valley#p29539 (just scroll down to find his post). So, many options to get what you want.

This is a picture of FV wheels in a GC truck with no modification.
unnamed[6].jpg
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby milwrd1 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:58 pm

Received my flatcar kit last weekend. Very well done :thumbup: :thumbup:
Mark forwarded a set of illustrated instructions (including photos) to be used when assembling the kit. Excellent :!:
milwrd1

Postby Richard-B » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:38 pm

milwrd1 wrote:
Received my flatcar kit last weekend. Very well done :thumbup: :thumbup:
My description was: Brass origami: fold-fold-fold-solder-fold...
Mark forwarded a set of illustrated instructions (including photos) to be used when assembling the kit. Excellent :!:
You must be special... he didn't send a copy to ME! <grin>

As I mentioned-to Mark off line... Lok-n-Roll should get the English version of the Bauanleitung (instructions) up at:
http://www.lok-n-roll.de/shop/page/3
---------------------------------------------------------
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between Shenzhen and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby CSD » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:14 pm

Thanks, Richard.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby CSD » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:04 am

Hello All,

I have the opportunity to import some items from Michael at Art & Detail. I would like some feedback on what people want, in what quantities before I place an order. If you are interested in specific items let me know. Please send your requests to infosazmodel@gmail.com. No price list yet. Folks, real interest only...

For those of you who are not familiar with Michael's products, they are high detail, small series kits made from a variety of materials for serious modelers. You can see many of his items posted around this site.
Mark
//S
CSD

PreviousNext

Return to Buy, Sell, Trade