SazModel Code 55 #6 Turnouts

Would you like some ready to run turnouts? What kind?

Code 55 #6
38%
Code 55 #8
50%
No thank you
13%

Total votes : 16

Re: SazModel Code 55 #6 Turnouts

Postby CSD » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:54 pm

Maybe...
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby CSD » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:12 pm

Mark
//S
CSD

Postby richardedmonds » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:35 am

Tom Dempsey wrote:Or, gee whiz, we could always build TT scale turnouts.

To expand a bit on Tom's words, has anybody contacted Fasttracks with a view to remodelling their HOm turnout to TT spec with regards to turnouts at all? I did on two occasions and never even got a reply even after spending $300 on tools and jigs etc. I thought that was a poor response in as much as they seem to do pretty much every other scale going.
I am on a mission now to find a way to make a jig to build curved turnouts in code 55 does anybody have any ideas
richardedmonds

Postby sd80mac » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:43 pm

Hello Bernd,

You could probably mill similar type fixtures out of hard wood (for durability) for a fraction of the cost of Fast Tracks fixtures. And although a fixture is not required to build a turnout, it is necessary to ensure consistent quality in turnout construction. Alternately, one could have pieces of a fixture laser-cut from sheets of thin ply, and then laminate the sheets together to form a full fixture, again, for much less than an aluminum fixture. Obviously wood won't last as long as aluminum (especially with the heat), but I'm sure you could get a pretty good yield before you have to make a new fixture.

Donnell
sd80mac

Postby Tom Dempsey » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:35 pm

I build my fixtures out of wood, they seem to last long enough for a layout. Just how many turnouts are you actually going to build, go to a big club layout, count the turnouts, not too many go more than forty or fifty max. You do need a different fixture for each switch number, the rest of the turnout can be built on a paper template with a straight edge and the track gauges which even Fastracks recommends. If you do YouTube, search for Charlie Comstock's scratchbuilding a turnout video. I've used his homemade jig design, it works.
Tom Dempsey

Postby sd80mac » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:45 pm

Hey Bernd,

Following this same line of thought, you could also mill a fixtures for straight track and curved track of various radii. Also, flex track fixtures, various size frog alignment fixtures, in fact, you could do just about everything Fast Tracks does for much less. The only thing is you may not be able to sell them due to possible patent issues, but there's nothing that says you can't sell points, frogs, and guard rails produced from your fixtures.

Come to think of it, people have been soldering rail to pc ties, and using jigs long before Fast Tracks, so I doubt they have the corner of the "jig" market. I mean, I wouldn't copy exactly what they are doing, maybe make a few changes, but honestly what they are doing is nothing unique enough to warrant patent protection. It is a novel idea, but a US-based presence would be preferable (and less costly)!

Donnell
sd80mac

Postby richardedmonds » Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:21 am

Some interesting thoughts on this topic chaps thanks a lot, I want to try building my own as I want to see what code 55 with tie plates look like.
richardedmonds

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:32 pm

Im confused. Why dont you guys just buy the complete ready ones that are available?

Sent using Tapatalk - now Free
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby richardedmonds » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:17 pm

ConducTTor wrote:Im confused. Why dont you guys just buy the complete ready ones that are available?

Sent using Tapatalk - now Free

Quite simple Alex for one thing I need curved turnouts to fit my templot drawing of my track plan, all the track is going to be handlaid and I want to try building them for mysef as well. I will use Marks offerings as well and I have ordered two for a trial as well but a major factor is cost and the price of internatioal shipping for a lot of items.
Another thing is I am trying to use tiny tieplates and Mark doesn't offer this as an option yet, I always support what people try to supply in TT but there are times when you just got to have a go yourself.
Actually Marks ones look pretty good and maybe I might just bite the bullet when I see them close up for myself. Nothing is cast in stone yet but I do like having options and at least with these chats I learn something
richardedmonds

Postby richardedmonds » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:15 pm

IMG_2541.JPG
Not sure my ideas are good ones now. 6000 of these turned up today and they have to be attached to clover house wood ties as well as code 55 rail why oh why do I do this to myself
richardedmonds

PreviousNext

Return to Prototypes / Models