SazModel Code 55 #6 Turnouts

Would you like some ready to run turnouts? What kind?

Code 55 #6
38%
Code 55 #8
50%
No thank you
13%

Total votes : 16

Re: SazModel Code 55 #6 Turnouts

Postby CSD » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:19 pm

So, to get back to the question, only 9 people are interested in North American TT scale track?
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby j p » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:24 pm

milwrd1 wrote:
j p wrote:
Marquette wrote:
milwrd1 wrote:Based on the above, the brass Joma tank car, even with additional weight added, is underweight per the NMRA recommended practice.

Which is the opposite way of answering my question, that yes, the models are overweight in terms of scale weight. :)

No, that would be a misunderstanding.
Most models are OK in terms of scale weight (for cars). I used Joma tankcar in the example also because its weight is average and because it does not need any additional weight for good performance.
The only two models overweight in scale weight would be Kemtron 2-bay offside hopper and Gandy Dancer 40' boxcar - the version with all parts made of cast metal.

All locomotives would be overweight in terms of scale weight. I would not recommend making the locomotives in correct scale weight simply because the friction of the trucks of the cars is not in scale, it is much higher.

This has not been my experience. Most of the older, vintage TT scale freight cars perform better when weight is added, to make the weight closer to the NMRA recommended values. The all metal Kemtron hopper and the all metal version of the Gandy Dancer boxcar do not require any weight for good performance. I look at each piece of rooling stock on an individual basis. I believe that most TT engines would be overweight in terms of scale weight. I don't know if NMRA RP 20.1 was supposed to address locomotive weights.

Oh, you overlooked the term: scale weight.
It has nothing to do with the age of the model or its performance or NMRA standard. Scale weight is the weight of the real car scaled to TT.
The additional weight was needed to compensate for performance of the trucks and to enable running through sharp curves. (I use cars with the old cast brass trucks as brake cars) Modern trucks (GoldCoast or Art&Detail) roll much easier, so cars equipped with them can be made even in the correct scale weight. It is up to each modeler to decide if he or she would follow the NMRA standard, NEM standard, his/her own standard, scale weight, or no standard at all.
j p

Postby j p » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:33 pm

CSD wrote:So, to get back to the question, only 9 people are interested in North American TT scale track?

The trade barriers make import from Canada or US too expensive - when similar products are available in Europe. I'll buy NA track from EU distributor or manufacturer.
Import VAT, import fee, customs, postage...
j p

Postby areibel » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:58 pm

I'd bet there are more interested than votes cast. I think it goes back to the "I'll believe it when I can buy it" mindset being so prevalent. Unfortunately that's not a good thing when you're trying to gauge support for a project!
areibel

Postby railtwister » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:20 am

It's just a wild guess, but I'd be willing to bet that there are fewer active modelers of American prototype TT in the USA, than those in Europe modeling American profile in TT. In other words, no more than a handful, possibly less. I think most of those interested in TT in this country are interested in it either as a piece of history because they remember it from childhood, or as a secondary scale while their main interest lies in models of a different size or gauge. I think that just the fact that there is any interest at all is pretty amazing, since the scale all but died in this country about 50 years ago.

How many modelers out there (in any scale) are willing to hand lay their own tracks, because flex track simply isn't available? I'm sure the percentage is quite low. Another real question is how many people can afford to build much more than just a test loop of track if turnouts must cost $50 or more apiece? Don't forget that even if you already have the turnout, it needs a switch machine of some sort to control it, and even a manual turnout machine like the BluePoint is around $10 (street price), powered ones are even more.

It's sort of like the chicken/egg question, in order for the scale to grow to the point where there are affordable items like ready made turnouts, the volume of potential sales has to be there to support the production, but without the availability of those items, the volume won't be there.

What I would really love to see would be Peco flex and turnouts using the same rail and production methods they use for their N scale Code 55 tracks, but in American profile TT scale track. The rail itself is actually about code 80. But it has a false foot at .055", and the rail below that is embedded in the ties so you can't see it. This means that any spike heads molded into the ties can be scale sized and cosmetic only, they don't need to be large enough to keep the rails attached to the tie strip. I wonder what it would take to convince Peco?

Bill in FtL
railtwister

Postby Marquette » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:47 am

Too many people can't be bothered to say anything when asked.

And then they whine when nothing happens.
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby CSD » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:24 pm

railtwister wrote:... I think that just the fact that there is any interest at all is pretty amazing, since the scale all but died in this country about 50 years ago... if turnouts must cost $50 or more apiece...

Some good points there. It is not practical (or affordable) at this point to manufacture turnouts in the volumes of the major scales. As with all good things, the price point is going to be a little higher too. What I would like to do is make it worth it. A preassembled hand laid unit would seem to be the best solution as the quality and apprearance is high and can be done in small lots. So, at the very least, when you pay $35 for a turnout you know what you paid for.

As an aside, I'm not that impressed with Tillig. They are not interested in small quantity sales and are hard to deal with. Not to mention the size of the rails. Kuehn is too unreliable. Both are also to European track profiles (sort of). So, I need a North American track system to sell along with the SW's and boxcars, to sell the SW's and boxcars and I think I can do better.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby areibel » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:12 pm

I would dearly love to know what happened to the Kruger track molds. There's a thread on the German board from last year saying the track was available from a Romanian or Russian hobby outlet but now it's a dead link. Supposedly it was going to be available soon again in Germany but I haven't been able to find out anything more.
It's yet another piece of TT that would be very useful to have but seems to have disappeared, like the Coastal Engineering truck molds and the Silicone molds for the "conversion boilers" for Tillig steamers.
areibel

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:10 pm

How bout getting back to turnouts?

Sent using Tapatalk - now Free
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby milwrd1 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:57 pm

CSD wrote:
So, I need a North American track system to sell along with the SW's and boxcars, to sell the SW's and boxcars and I think I can do better.

Agreed. A readily available system of NA track is needed. Will the SW 1200 run on spiked code 55 rail?

Another consideration. I am totally interested in #6 or #8 fabricated turnouts....however, many of us have older equipment with the larger flanges, where I found through experiments years ago, will not operate satisfactorily on spiked code 55 rail. No problem with spiked code 70 rail, using the smallest spikes available at the time. Perhaps spikes with smaller heads are available today. This may be part of the reason for the response (a small number of responses) being received.

Code 55 rail would look great. I must also admit that I have not used pc ties or glue to install the code 55 rail. I share the previously posted opinion concerning expansion and contraction when using spikes or pc ties. However small, the spikes provide some room for expansion which pc ties and glue will not do. I understand that the rubber based glues (pliobond) will provide some room for expansion. Other than on a scenic, non operated diorama, I would be hesistant to use glue or pc ties exclusively on a larger layout.

So.... could fabricated turnouts in code 70 be a possibility?
milwrd1

PreviousNext

Return to Prototypes / Models