Santa Fe hoppers

Re: My little part of Europe

Postby Taxari » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:24 pm

Hi Ian,
please can you say something about your Santa Fe hopper project?
With some good pics maybe?
Jörg
Taxari

Re: My little part of Europe

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:26 pm

Indeed those are nice looking hoppers.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Santa Fe hoppers

Postby TiTan downunder » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:03 am

< please can you say something about your Santa Fe hopper project?
With some good pics maybe >

OK but, this may take a while.

I'll start by saying this project actually started about 20 years ago - when I received the master pattern / hopper.
At that time I was doing a lot of urethane casting and one job was for an O scale version of this hopper from an article in the March 1972 Craftsman magazine. Part of my payment was to get an TT version of the hopper made. From another favour owed me, I secured brass etchings for the ladders, switcher steps and hand brake wheel. After casting off few bodies, I realised there were complications in the way the master had been done and shelved the project. I had however, sent one body casting off to a certain gentleman in California who was the editor of " The Empire " at the time.

Move forward 17 years and said gentleman asked about finishing of " that hopper " and provided artwork for decals. These I've had done by a friend with an ALPS printer after sending him a body shell to get the exact measurements.

Going back to the original problem with casting, I turned the complete body/chassis into a 2 part set up by removing the chassis frame. This solved the problem of the end platforms braking off when trying to remove them from the rubber molds.
1 - 1.JPG

1 - 2.JPG

The original RMC article that started it all

1 - 3.JPG

1 - 4.JPG

1 - 5.JPG
the problem end platforms

The problem end platforms

More photos to follow

Ian
TiTan downunder

Santa Fe hoppers

Postby TiTan downunder » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:17 am

1 - 7.JPG

This shows separate frame / hopper bin parts.

1 - 9.JPG

All the parts that go make up the hopper, incl weight insert, load spacer blocks, alternate shapes of coal loads and the brass etchings.

1 - 10.JPG

1 - 11.JPG

The not quite finished hopper.

ATSF-74900 Ga-152 Devore CA 29 Dec 1978 RHawkins53632.jpg

The real thing - photograph by Mr Ron Hawkins
TiTan downunder

Re: Santa Fe hoppers

Postby MacG » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:18 pm

A really nice project. The GA-152 class 48' coal gondola of the ATSF. There was only 101 pieces built by Transco in 1966. This are the only rotary dumper cars that were ASTF ever ordered. Road numbers 74899 - 74999. For the Unit Coal Train Service ran these cars from York Canyon Mine at Raton, NM to the Kaiser Steel Mills at Fontana, CA and back.
I think on the side with the yellow painting is the rotary knuckle coupler. So that a yellow side not be coupled to another yellow side. Because of a train separation accident with two together coupled rotary knuckle couplers. In the whole train all yellow sides shows to the same side.

Here is a later picture.

BTW, these are high sided gondolas and no hopper cars. There are no hoppers at the cars. :wink:
Lok-n-Roll.de - we are shipping worldwide :wink:
MacG

Postby Bernd » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:49 pm

Now somebody needs to make rotary dumper kit in TT like Walthers rotary. Who's up for that?

Bernd
Bernd

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:55 pm

I would be. After I complete my 99 other projects...
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Bernd » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:40 pm

ConducTTor wrote:I would be. After I complete my 99 other projects...

I'm in the same boat, only with 199 projects. But's one more?

I've been seriously thinking about it. Looking at the Walthers kit it doesn't look like there is much to it. I wonder how a resin cast model would work? Animated of course so it could dump TT scale coal. Not wanting to hijack this subject perhaps another thread for discussion may be in order. What think?

Bernd
Bernd

Postby TiTan downunder » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:43 am

> BTW, these are high sided gondolas and no hopper cars. There are no hoppers at the cars <

Thanks for the correction. I'm just used to calling any coal car a hopper 'cause that what most Australian ones are, open hoppers = coal, closed hoppers = wheat. Like most railways these days they only want to know about bulk commodities.

I've seen those photos of the later versions and will probably do another batch with the red ends. Should be a lot easier to paint and decal.

I started making a list of projects to finish and gave when it got to over 30 items.

A rotary dumper would be an interesting talking point on a layout but, I think I'll just run mine as through traffic.

Ian
TiTan downunder

Postby MacG » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:46 pm

The linked picture above is from 2006. I haven't found a picture before 2005. Repainted in the 90s? It is the current paint scheme for this cars.

I think, Ron Hawkins has photographed this car at the same train in 1978. It has a third paint scheme. Also I found the scheme in 1985 on another car.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we are shipping worldwide :wink:
MacG

Next

Return to Prototypes / Models