sanda khan

Talk about anything and everything!

sanda khan

Postby jmass » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:10 pm

i was just reading the post on new us model on the prototype section and rail twister mentioned sanda khan manufacturing in china. they are also the biggest manufacturer of s scale products. both s helper service and american models are built their.i guess s gauge is going to go thru a major hiccup.
jmass

Re: sanda khan

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:44 pm

As far as I know, they also recently upped their minimum order from 290 to 500 units. And their prices have gone up ~ 10% in the past year and a half. Basically doubling the costs for small runs.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby railtwister » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:36 pm

jmass wrote:i was just reading the post on new us model on the prototype section and rail twister mentioned sanda khan manufacturing in china. they are also the biggest manufacturer of s scale products. both s helper service and american models are built their.i guess s gauge is going to go thru a major hiccup.

I also am an S scaler, and you're correct, both S Helper and American Models got the letters of cancellation as did Port Line Hobbies and Des Plaines Hobby, and also the manufacturer of S gauge hi-rail track (Sorry, I forgot the companie's name). Hopefully, all of these companies will be able to retain ownership of all the tooling they paid Sanda Kan for, but I read on the web that the Chinese government has a policy that no tooling can leave the country, whoever owns it. Last I heard both SHS and AM were looking for other manufacturers in China to take over the production. In the meantime, if there's anything in current inventories that you want, better buy it now, since it's quite possible that it will never be run again.

Note to Alex: I would be surprised if they would even talk to any new small manufacturers now, after terminating so many of their established customer less than a year ago. Might be a different story if you are a potential mega-customer though...

This is an example one of the many risks you take having products manufactured offshore (not to imply that having stuff made here is risk-free).

Bill
railtwister

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:08 am

railtwister wrote:Note to Alex: I would be surprised if they would even talk to any new small manufacturers now, after terminating so many of their established customer less than a year ago. Might be a different story if you are a potential mega-customer though...

I had zero plans to talk to them. Even if things hadn't changed, there's no way I could foot the bill for 290 of anything.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Return to Off Topic