AstroGoat and CaTT's Model Train Room

AstroGoat and CaTT's Model Train Room

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:08 am

Well, it took damn near three months, but we finally closed on our "new" house today ("new" to us, but it is old, the core section of the house dates back to 1861, and one of the barns dates back to the 1850s.)

We have not narrowed down our desired layout configuration yet, but we will have ample space to do as we wish, and with the room that we want to build the layout in having cinder block and brick walls, topped with a heart pine roofing structure above it, it should remain safe for a long time to come.

Then again, there is a rather large barn on the property with a mostly finished interior that would be great for making a large model train layout inside of...

Here is the rough floor plan from the VA inspector's report:

Here is an excised portion of those plans covering just the house:

And here is one set of possibilities for said house, with the layout room annotated. In order to reach the room, one must go through the back porch, which is enclosed as well, which would make keeping the room secure from cats and children quite easy. So far, only two cats will be allowed in with no restrictions: Duchess Natasha, and Empress Suzy (my 15 year old companion cat, and my 4 month old companion kitten respectively).

Some work is needed here and there, but for $62,000 for the house and 9 acres, why the heck not?

We are open to and welcome suggestions as far as layout design and details are concerned.
Last edited by AstroGoat760 on Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Re: Sailor and CaTT's Permanent Layout

Postby Richard-B » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:18 am

Clearly the BEST choice is to use the 33 ft by 44 ft house area for the layout...
and live in the barn!!!
---------------------------------------------------------
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between Shenzhen and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:16 pm

9 acres? Damn that's huge. The family room makes most sense. Richard's suggestion however should be carefully considered. :mrgreen:

I wouldn't put anything in the barn unless it's HVAC'd - electric toys aren't meant to brave the elements.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby CaTTwoman281 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:35 pm

The newer barn (the one shown one the first picture) is partially set up with HVAC, the guy that owned the place before he died (in his 80s) had started to install HVAC in it, but a lot of work is needed first to complete it. Our plans for that are to make it into a workshop for the farm equipment and the large scale trains, as well as storage for the large scale trains.
Real Women Not Only Drive Diesel Trucks, They Drive Diesel Tractors!
CaTTwoman281

Postby AstroGoat760 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:54 pm

Here are some photos of the room that is planned to contain our permanent layout:
I am thinking of modifying the closet here to become a paint booth:
AstroGoat760

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:21 am

Nice big space. Perfect.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby richardedmonds » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:43 am

Heck thats huge, if you was in London that would be carved up into fifty appartments and your train room would be your total living space and sold for a cool quarter of a million quid ------ lucky you mate, good on you both
richardedmonds

Postby milwrd1 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:44 pm

Closet for a paint area.....a good idea, haven't thought of doing that. :thumbup: Perhaps you will protect the interior closet walls in some way, or do you plan on installing some sort of booth in the closet :?: You're also going to need some sort of exhaust system.
milwrd1

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:03 pm

milwrd1 wrote:Closet for a paint area.....a good idea, haven't thought of doing that. :thumbup: Perhaps you will protect the interior closet walls in some way, or do you plan on installing some sort of booth in the closet :?: You're also going to need some sort of exhaust system.

There will be an actual booth with exhaust piping with filtration as well. The closet itself is removable as it is not load bearing, so that may change in itself.
AstroGoat760

Postby ctxmf74 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:22 am

"if you was in London that would be carved up into fifty appartments and your train room would be your total living space and sold for a cool quarter of a million quid "

over here land is relatively cheap so the major cost of a large space often becomes heating and cooling it. I live in a mild climate but my workshop/train room is still too hot or too cold to work out there about 25% of the year so I have a small N scale secondary layout in the house ....DaveB
ctxmf74

Next

Return to Layouts / Track Plans