AstroGoat and CaTT's Model Train Room

Re: AstroGoat and CaTT's Model Train Room

Postby TiTan downunder » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:26 pm

Might be worth having a look at the plan in the January MR, page 65. Whilst, it's a double stack N scale 8'x 8' it could easily be made as a single decker and would fit your room nicely when scaled up to TT.

Ian
TiTan downunder

Postby Juup » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:37 pm

I love brainstorming layout ideas :)

I guess it would be wise to plan a TT layout that is less likely to leave to you positions of (additional) strain. It could be an island layout, because then you can walk around it when working. But you seem to have two island style layouts in mind already, so the TT one may need to go along a wall. An around the room layout might be good fun, but there are a lot of corners to navigate (e.g. around the closet). But yes, the suggestion to go modular, with a future overall goal in mind, seems a good one :)

Perhaps … a wall layout along e.g. the far 14 foot wall that extends out no more than 24-28 inches, so you don’t have to lean over too much. Perhaps also build it at a height where you can sit on a good office type chair and work. Perhaps a dog bone, with a station occupying the front 12-16 inches, and a run through some landscape on the back 12 inches or so (with a little elevation at the back there would be a sense of perspective). With a modular approach, each module could be fitted with hinges at the back so you can lift a section at the front and prop it up at near 90 degrees and work on turnout motors and wiring whilst still standing or seated. At both ends the layout may need to be slightly wider to accommodate turning trains around (to achieve continuous running). These slightly wider modules could be hidden so less need for back-breaking landscaping, ballasting etc.

Fun fun ...

Juup
Juup

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:44 pm

Juup wrote:I love brainstorming layout ideas :)

I guess it would be wise to plan a TT layout that is less likely to leave to you positions of (additional) strain. It could be an island layout, because then you can walk around it when working. But you seem to have two island style layouts in mind already, so the TT one may need to go along a wall. An around the room layout might be good fun, but there are a lot of corners to navigate (e.g. around the closet). But yes, the suggestion to go modular, with a future overall goal in mind, seems a good one :)

Perhaps … a wall layout along e.g. the far 14 foot wall that extends out no more than 24-28 inches, so you don’t have to lean over too much. Perhaps also build it at a height where you can sit on a good office type chair and work. Perhaps a dog bone, with a station occupying the front 12-16 inches, and a run through some landscape on the back 12 inches or so (with a little elevation at the back there would be a sense of perspective). With a modular approach, each module could be fitted with hinges at the back so you can lift a section at the front and prop it up at near 90 degrees and work on turnout motors and wiring whilst still standing or seated. At both ends the layout may need to be slightly wider to accommodate turning trains around (to achieve continuous running). These slightly wider modules could be hidden so less need for back-breaking landscaping, ballasting etc.

Fun fun ...

Juup

Thanks for the ideas.

We plan on the depth of the wall sections will be 24-30 inches, so that the layout can be easily reached to clear derailments and such.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:40 pm

I think even 24 - 30 is too much. I wouldn't go more than 20. Through all the iterations I've gone through planning my permanent layout, there has been one consistency, depth. My max is 22" except for turnarounds/helixes. You don't need much depth for realism with trains - just length.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:34 pm

Maybe 24" will be the magic number for the wall sections.

The next question that I am stuck on is the number of mainlines (# of independent trains running at once) for the layout.

I plan on sticking with conventional DC for the layout as well.
AstroGoat760

Postby AstroGoat760 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:41 pm

Another though to consider: should we make the layout as a "dogbone" style or a circular layout with a lift bridge?
AstroGoat760

Postby gerhard_k » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:34 pm

AstroGoat760 wrote:Another though to consider: should we make the layout as a "dogbone" style or a circular layout with a lift bridge?

The problem with a "dogbone" in a limited space is that almost all the track winds up on curves, which will make the layout of realistic and switchable station areas challenging; I think that outweighs the convenience of a walk-in plan. An around-the-walls scheme will allow more straight track and easier curve radii, and a lift-out or tilt-up (hinged) bridge section is not that difficult to build.
And if you want 2 independent mainlines, I think that would be just about impossible with a "dogbone" in your space.

But you need to first decide whether your layout will primarily provide display circle-running or whether you want to include realistic train make-up and car switching, for (at least per the conventional wisdom) more long-term satisfaction. For the latter objective, a single mainline would certainly give a more functional track plan. Even in TT, I'm sure you've already found that your available space imposes strong limitations on your options. :boohoo:

Good luck! And you can rest assured that all your friends here on the Board will happily critique any track plan ideas you care to present... :wave:
Sometimes you win... sometimes you learn.
gerhard_k

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:46 pm

Thanks for the advice. I think we will go with the around the walls plan with a tilt up bridge.
AstroGoat760

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:41 am

AstroGoat760 wrote:Thanks for the advice. I think we will go with the around the walls plan with a tilt up bridge.

You've chosen well ;)
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby sacto-tt » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:35 am

As a fellow around-the-roomer, I applaud your decision.
-Joe-
sacto-tt

PreviousNext

Return to Layouts / Track Plans