safty cabs

Re: safty cabs

Postby Dibbedabb » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:46 pm

Maybe I can help, or at least try to help.
As mentioned above Europe has other safety situations. I don't know about american train lines, but every european country has a train control system (unfortunately every country a different). ETCS is still in development and not very much used until today.
Do you have train control systems in the US? (I guess so)
It was said that the cabs are the crash zone itself. There were some changes in cab construction due to safety regulations. For example Bombardier changed their TRAXX platform's cab. The first generation looked like this (see cab front form), the second (stiffer) generation looks like this.
On Siemens' locomotives the difference is more obvious. The first version of the EuroSprinter 3 type ES64 U4 looked like this, the 2007 platform was changed to this.
Of course Siemens and Bombardier both changed other details on their generations, too ;)

Besides that as mentioned European trains are lighter. The length for regular trains in Germany is limited to 700m, the weight for regular trains will not exceed something around 3.500tons. The heaviest german trains are iron ore trains with around 5.400 tons (these trains are equipped with an automatic coupling system, not with a usual hook and chain).

Most European freight cars are approved for 120kph (74mph) when unloaded, and 100kph (62mph) when loaded. What is the top speed for american freight trains?

Here you find an example, what happens if a modern european loco (type Siemens ER20) crashes into a livestock transport - not a big thing for the engine. (The truck driver was injured and survived the accident)

As a conclusion one could say, European safety regulations more care about active safety (train control) and less about passive (crash) safety.
Dibbedabb

Re: safty cabs

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:20 pm

Dibbedabb wrote: European safety regulations more care about active safety (train control) and less about passive (crash) safety.

I don't know the answers to the questions regarding American standards of weight, speed, etc but I would guess that the above is probably the most likely reason :think:
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Previous

Return to General Discussion