russian trucks

russian trucks

Postby Zs12 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:18 am

Morning everyone! :smile:

Only one short question: Is it possible to take these russian trucks for any kind of american-style wagons?

http://modellhouse.com/catalog/peresvet_big/pojasn.jpg
http://modellhouse.com/catalog/peresvet_big/zniih.jpg

I'm looking for other old US-truck types, for instance something like the Union-TT trucks. I'd like to use especially the older version for various scratchbuilds.

cheers!
Last edited by Zs12 on Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zs12

Re: russian trucks

Postby scaro » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:41 am

Possible but the Peresvet trucks are a bit long. 6' wheelbase. While that is in theory OK -many US trucks were 5'9"- about every other US truck on the market seems to be too short, ie, 5'4" or so wb. So these ones might stand out a bit.

Lookswise, the archbars would probably do OK as is. The cast truck is a bit complex and some holes might be better filled with putty. If you were careful you might remove the extra springs too.

And they seem prone to snapping in the centre. Which is not so good.

Ben
scaro

Postby Marquette » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:00 pm

The first one I own a pair (somewhere in a box) - they work out fine for arch bars, as there were about 68,000 different variants of arch bar trucks.

The cast truck... that's a treasure! Two trucks could be had out of it. No need to fill any of the holes, but if you leave the "ears" around the journal boxes there, but remove the two outer springs, you have a Vulcan truck. But, if you remove the ears and slightly reshape the outer parts of the frame - leaving the extra springs in place! - you have a Dalman truck. I had seen a picture of this truck underneath a Peresvet model, but not as close up as this; my initial impression was that we have a close-enough Vulcan truck, which is good, but those weren't very common; Dalman trucks, on the other hand, were quite common on cars built in the 1920s into the early 30s... (and lasted in service into the 1960s)

So as I said, that second, cast truck, is a gift of all gods and goddesses and spirits and whatever have you who've ever looked at the world and saw that TT is good.

Luette, where can these be obtained? I want a half dozen sets of the cast truck right off the bat!

EDIT added: Ben, the GC truck scales out correctly. So, perhaps the cast truck from Peresvet, modified as I described into a Dalman truck, might not look *that* much too long, since the outer ears will be gone. How long are these trucks' wheelbase?
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby scaro » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:43 pm

hi frank

6' wb on the cast truck.

it will most likely look OK with the GC one which i think you told me was 5'6".

however possum valley's truck and many of the older TT trucks are all around 5'3" - 5'4" -the peresvet may look a bit big beside them. but it's not like we have a lot of choice.

i think a GC archbar, if it's also around 5'6" (which has been spoken of i think?) would be the best thing.

from my collection of odds n sods, the peresvet seems the best archbar of those currently in circulation.

ben
scaro

Postby richardedmonds » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:02 pm

Are these peresvert trucks easily obtainable and if so from where
richardedmonds

Postby scaro » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:26 pm

i don't think they are, richard. i got mine from euro train hobby in the states, many were damaged/ cracked and they never dealt with my complaint. caveat emptor.

they have been out of stock on ETH's site for a long time.

you'd need to try a russian hobby shop -some of them stock their stuff. i suppose peresvet are a big deal in russia, but their expansion into overseas markets in the past couple of years doesn't exactly seem to have set the model railway world on fire.

ben
scaro

Postby Marquette » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:48 pm

scaro wrote:hi frank

6' wb on the cast truck.

it will most likely look OK with the GC one which i think you told me was 5'6".

however possum valley's truck and many of the older TT trucks are all around 5'3" - 5'4" -the peresvet may look a bit big beside them. but it's not like we have a lot of choice.

i think a GC archbar, if it's also around 5'6" (which has been spoken of i think?) would be the best thing.

from my collection of odds n sods, the peresvet seems the best archbar of those currently in circulation.

ben

As my planning stands now, these numbers mean the GC trucks will be the shortest I have - I've got a couple PVM trucks unbuilt with no plans to build them, and I have none (and no desire to get any) of the older trucks. So as far as my models go, I'm okay with the 6" difference between the GC and Peresvet trucks. As far as a new GC truck goes, I'm hopehopehoping it's an Andrews instead of an arch bar!
Marquette

Postby scaro » Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:55 am

should correct my statement above.

elmer at PVM does a 5'9" roller bearing truck which is a bit longer than the standard cast 'bettendorf' style freight truck; like all elmer's stuff it's a nice bit of kit and comes with the semi-finescale HP wheels. it should look sufficiently bulky alongside the peresvets.

i'd direct you to the tt.scale.com online cattledog listing,but it seems to be down at the moment.

ben
scaro

Postby Marquette » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:36 pm

Oh yeah. I know of PVM's roller bearing trucks but I can't use them - they weren't common until the 1960s, and (practically) nonexistent in 1948!
Marquette

Postby Zs12 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:08 pm

Hmm ... the Peresvet truck doesn't seem to be the best choice, but 6'' (or rather 1.2 mm) deviation should currently be close enough for me. So until there're better options, I'll take a few of these. :smile:

http://www.modelldepo.ru/ should have those, but I don't know how to order, because all content of their website is only in russian. I'll have to ask someone for help.

For measurements of the newer russian truck see the diagram, of the older version I unfortunately have nothing like that.

bogie.png
Zs12

Next

Return to Prototypes / Models