RS-3 Pictures

Re: RS-3 Pictures

Postby railtwister » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:31 am

Carsten wrote:Richard, you're right. It's some kind of plastic, definitely no resin.

The trucks look like they are injection molded plastic, because you can just make out the marks made by the ejection pins located above the axle slots. It also looks like the truck frames are symmetrical, so as to need only one molded piece for either the left or right side, reducing the number of molds needed, and thus reducing the tooling costs (something I advocated in an earlier discussion about drive trains on this list). The fact that these frames can accommodate different wheel arrangements takes that idea even a step further. I wonder why they chose to mold the frames in red? Also, have they rectified the problem with the steeply angled drive-shafts going from the motor to the truck towers as seen in the Lok-n-Rol geeps? Alex, do you think maybe these trucks will fit a U-boat? That could solve a few of your headaches...

Bill in FL
railtwister

Postby scaro » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:57 am

richardedmonds wrote:These models are becoming so realistic now that the trackwork is going to be a problem I fear. Those RS3 picures are superb in model detail but doesn't the track look massive. This in the past has never been a problem to me but now I am thinking more like scaro and marquette and seeing the need for more accurate scale items.

this is an issue -the european NEM standards have always been a bit disappointing, probably the only real issue with most of the modern european stuff.

as regards the chances of TT in a market like the US, IMHO it has to be as a niche for those wanting greater accuracy. i can't see anyone moving from N or HO to something that's got track like early N scale. better track and wheels is an unavoidable part of it.

the 3mm guys are already there, and can look anyone in the S, P4, EM and 00 finescale and 2mm crowds straight in the eye without blinking, in that regard.

Ben
scaro

Postby Marquette » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:14 am

scaro wrote:
richardedmonds wrote:as regards the chances of TT in a market like the US, IMHO it has to be as a niche for those wanting greater accuracy.

I've said that from the first, too - if TT wants to grow in North America it has to market itself as "The RPM Scale".

(RPM, for the record, means "Railway Prototype Modeller" and is a 'movement' within the hobby that strives for the greatest possible accuracy. Some of the most phenomenal modelling I've seen is to be found there, and if some of the N scale RPM guys would switch to TT... well, it'd be some amazing modelling...)
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:28 am

railtwister wrote:Also, have they rectified the problem with the steeply angled drive-shafts going from the motor to the truck towers as seen in the Lok-n-Rol geeps?

From the pictures it looks like the geometry is quite different from what LNR does - as in, the drive shafts are horizontal. This eliminates the problem that exists in the LNR.

railtwister wrote:Alex, do you think maybe these trucks will fit a U-boat? That could solve a few of your headaches...

That would require yet another complete overhaul of the design and I'm not doing any more of those - at some point in time you just have to stop tweaking or things will never be finished. Also, I have no idea of the availability and cost of these trucks.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby railtwister » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:55 am

richardedmonds wrote:Arseny I do not know the status of this kit. I have no information if it will be made for general sale or not, because of this I am sorry but I am not at liberty to discuss the cost in case I misrepresent any decided price.

That said I hope it can be made available to others as I would buy another one with no hesitation,both now and in the past I have always been a massive fan of the German groups work regardless of cost and I think I was offered a partial kit because of this. This has been a considerable time in the making but well worth the wait.

Hi Richard,

Without giving out pricing information, can you at least provide contact info for the makers of the kit so that we can make inquiries? If such things regarding new TT products are to remain confidential, it will be but one more stumbling block to the growth potential of American outline TT (which is already pretty limited!).

Bill in FL
railtwister

Postby Carsten » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:45 pm

The RS3 kits have been sold out, so far I know. I guess and hope you will get more informations about it in the next TT-Empire.

The trucks have been developed and used by BeckmannTT www.beckmanntt.de about at least 15 years ago and they are suitable for different axle spaces, also for 3 axles in one truck.
Carsten

Postby richardedmonds » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:38 pm

railtwister wrote:
richardedmonds wrote:Arseny I do not know the status of this kit. I have no information if it will be made for general sale or not, because of this I am sorry but I am not at liberty to discuss the cost in case I misrepresent any decided price.

That said I hope it can be made available to others as I would buy another one with no hesitation,both now and in the past I have always been a massive fan of the German groups work regardless of cost and I think I was offered a partial kit because of this. This has been a considerable time in the making but well worth the wait.

Hi Richard,

Without giving out pricing information, can you at least provide contact info for the makers of the kit so that we can make inquiries? If such things regarding new TT products are to remain confidential, it will be but one more stumbling block to the growth potential of American outline TT (which is already pretty limited!).

Bill in FL

Sure thing Bill, I got mine from Carsten who posts regularly, he arranged it for me and it was a very long time coming but worth the wait. I was very lucky to get a complete kit. Originally as it was a limited production run I was offered just the body and the etches. The sheer fact that I got offered a complete one meant I paid up and kept quite. Subscribing to TT empire is a must though, as Carsten says if any new products or limited runs are being considered then Mike will know about it and it will be hiding in the Empire somewhere
richardedmonds

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:32 pm

Does anyone know how much this model weighs? I'm just trying to get a reference.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Zs12 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:20 am

Carsten wrote:The RS3 kits have been sold out, so far I know. I guess and hope you will get more informations about it in the next TT-Empire.

The trucks have been developed and used by BeckmannTT http://www.beckmanntt.de about at least 15 years ago and they are suitable for different axle spaces, also for 3 axles in one truck.

If so, is there an RSC-3 (kit) on the horizon? I wish :!:
Zs12

Postby railtwister » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:45 am

ConducTTor wrote:Does anyone know how much this model weighs? I'm just trying to get a reference.

Also, is there any room for a decoder, or (dare I ask?), a sound decoder? The shell looks to be pretty well stuffed with the motor & flywheels, and even in HO, RS units don't have much room for these things...

Bill in FL
railtwister

PreviousNext

Return to Prototypes / Models