RP Project Completion

RP Project Completion

Postby CSD » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:06 pm

With the ongoing talk of various RP (i.e. Shapeways) products, I decided to do a search on the subject. Out of 103 pages of material the fist picture of a completed project was on the 34th page and was over two years old. Seems like there is too much typing and not enough modelling. Unacceptable! So, I'll go first...

This is one of Alex's TTnut tank cars (sorry it took so long, Boss) in white strong and flexible from Shapeways. In order to get rid of the furry surface I sealed it with 6 coats of polyurethane, 2 layers of grey undercoat, 1 layer of black craft paint and 2 layers of modelling paint. Each of these layers were sanded in between. It's a bit pitted, but I'll take pitted over furry.

Applied some HO decals and evened the finish off with a dull coat layer. I took a readers digest approach to the decals. Because they're HO not all of them would fit. Had I not said anything I doubt many would even notice. Not to mention the number and data being wrong for this car (no, I don't want to here about it).

There is still grab irons, ladders and brake gear to put in place and I need to finish the A&D trucks, but I wanted to see if I could get the surface to an acceptable level. That will be next. So far I've put a day into it.

photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 1.JPG
photo 3.JPG

So, I'd like to see if any of you big talkers have gotten any of these RP offers off the ground. Show us what you've done. Pictures are required. Don't have anything to show off? This topic is not for you.

Please note: Aside from positive feedback, any comment not meeting this criteria will be deleted. I'm not interested in any armchair commentaries.
Mark
//S
CSD

Re: RP Project Completion

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:31 pm

:)
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby areibel » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:27 pm

Does "in progress" count?
Here's one of Jes_leyva's Shapeways SD45's, Version 2.0 I was happy that this one was much better than the first- not warped and the finish was smoother. The layering was minimal and confined to the doors on the long hood sides and a little on the back end. This has two coats of primer with sanding between each coat, you can see on the blower duct behind the cab it needs one more but I've probably got two hours in it so far.. It needs a few little mods to the A&D chassis (and the steps put back on, they were damaged in shipping and Michael sent new ones) and paint- I should be able to get it ready for paint once the holiday madness is over!
areibel

Postby Bernd » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:43 pm

WOW, I'm impressed. Nice work guys.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby CSD » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:25 am

You're farther along on that project then you let on, Al. Looking' good.

areibel wrote:... I should be able to get it ready for paint once the holiday madness is over!

I'm holding you to this, by the way.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby CSD » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:28 am

Hope you don't mind, Dave. Found this image you posted in the gallery a couple weeks back. Thought it belonged here. Would you mind sharing how you finished it?

ttnuthopper.jpeg
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby ctxmf74 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:28 pm

Hi Mark, Somewhere there's some under construction shots of that cement hopper. I basically formed steps, grabirons, coupler cut levers, etc. from brass wire then melted them into the shapeways body casting. It doesn't take a lot of fine detail to make a TT scale car look good from the aisle viewing position. I added another photo to the galley showing the B end of this car
gallery/image_page.php?album_id=3&image_id=401
I plan to order some more of the TTnut shapeways cars as well as some of the BoneValley hoppers I've seen there. ...DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby CSD » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:52 pm

Thanks, Dave.
Mark
//S
CSD

Return to General Discussion