roof walks for TT wagons -canadian grain hoppers?

Re: roof walks for TT wagons -canadian grain hoppers?

Postby scaro » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:10 am

Marquette wrote:
As far as I know, the width of metal ones were standardised. The AAR minimum width for a running board was IIRC 14" (though maybe 16") - the Gold Medal N scale running board for 50' (N scale) boxcars is almost long enough for a TT 40' car, and the width is wide enough to meet the AAR minimum; the holes though I think are a little too big even for TT.

As far as the Plano thing goes. If it works out as I hope, it'll be great. I asked about the Apex style, as that was the most common of the metal running board patterns, but if that happens, eventually I'll probably also ask for a batch of Gypsum and Morton boards, as well. But before that, we have to get a positive answer from Keith. If it happens, then I'll happily pass the running boards on to others who want them!

thanks for the data, marquette. the plano one at 4.15-4.2mm ought be OK -a shade under 1'8" wide.

al, from what i've measured i think most of them were, as you say, a shade under 2'. the figure of 1'10" width seems to recur in the HO and N ones i measured.

keith may see the value in a small market if it's a market that is switched on to what he offers and buys a bit from him. i suppose, down the line, he may not be able to help himself but look at his etches and say 'hmm, what could i scale down /up for those TT guys who pester me so much ?' :shifty: doing a apex pattern 40' boxcar TT etch would involve adding two or three more courses of rectangular slots to the width of an N etch all around and increasing the length. i'd rather have the fineness of the existing mesh maintained (since it is not anywhere near fine enough for N anyway, and slightly more accurate for TT.)

the GMM etches i had were a bit coarser than the plano ones, ie, bigger slots, and a bit narrower. i admit i have not approached him, but he does a lot of work for shipbuilding scales so 1:120 may not be a big jump for him.

ben
scaro

Postby areibel » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:26 pm

If the Gold Metal Mmodels you're referring to is the one that does the diesel detail sets for N, I contacted him already (bout those) and he wasn't interested in doing TT :cry:
Maybe if he gets a couple inquiries he'd change his mind?
areibel

Postby ctxmf74 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:39 pm

areibel wrote:If the Gold Metal Mmodels you're referring to is the one that does the diesel detail sets for N, I contacted him already (bout those) and he wasn't interested in doing TT

Seems like photo etching would be a pretty generic skill, maybe there are companies like shapeways who will etch anything you send them? ....dave
ctxmf74

Previous

Return to Prototypes / Models